Need opinions on workflow & Rip

zcto7

Not sure what would be a good choice for our shop, but in the near future we need to change our workflow. Not sure if we need to upgrade or just start from scratch with a whole new workflow. Common issues below and shop equipment /workflow listed at bottom.

After working for 8 months I realized we have lots of lots of problems with our current workflow, which is prone for mistakes and constantly creates lots of plated problems, and the blame rightfully falls on prepress. I feel like i'm set up for failure before I begin.

The cheapest route may be to upgrade from Navigator 7.0r3 to 8 but i'm not a fan of the Navigator/Harliquen rip so far. And PDF based engine would be really nice.

Xitron Xenith Sierra Looks very nice and has a whole workflow....but looks expensive for a small shop.

Nexus was a thought, but it looks like it's more optimized for flexo ?

Rampage was another one I looked at

Not sure on the ballpark prices of these or if there's another one more suited??

Common Issues
Like today me and the other prepress operator spent 2 hours trying to output two 4/4 11x17" jobs....thats ridiculous. Customer PDF's came in (from CS3) , where preflighted and passed x1a compliance. Sent to dynastrip, constantly locks up, crashes, and refused to work unless a postscript was used (placed in indesign) finally a press ready pdf. drug to hotfolders and 20-30 mins later we have it ripped, but a transparency dropped out. So back to square one.

My partners solution is to say oh well and rasterize everything inside photoshop....goodbye thin crisp type :rolleyes:

A common problem with the Xitron rip is that it will flush complex vector jobs with a trap pro memory problem. and those type of jobs will take 2-3 hrs to rip if they make it through. Avg rip time is 4-5 min per 19x25 sheet.

Another issue is that we have no way of previewing our ripped image unless we view it in the server monitor, which gives you a birds eye view or dot level zoom.....very frustrating. Not sure if the viewer plugin works with 7.0 ??? Also the root of plating a lot of flattening or transparency problems.

They also have a Evo/preps rip but after they set it up no one could get it working so they let it sit for two years...only used a dozen or so times.

No color managment currently ...but that's another project.

When the managers /owners are ready to upgrade or replace I would like to have an informed opinion to give them.

Pressroom Small offset sheetfed shop -
Kodak / presstek DI 4 color 12.5x18.11
1 older 5 color heidelburg
1 older 2-color heidelburg... both run up to 19x25 sheets
1 small ryobi 1 color press for 8.5x11 and smaller , small runs
1 itek 2 color press up to about 11x17's, small runs

Prepress Room
1 intel 2ghz iMac 2gb memory
1 g4 iMac 1gb memory (not used anymore, just brought in my personal mac pro)
Mac Pro 2.66 quad, 8 gigs memory, 2.5 TB, w/ 24" Eizo Coloredge

Servers
Xitron Server - 3ghz pentium 4, 2 GB ram
Directworks rip - 2.8 (ish) Xenon dual core
Evo /Preps server ( not used at all)
some kind of dell server for Matchprint

Output Workflow
Receive pdf or native files ( 70% pdf's)
Proof - Email PDF or on Kodak Matchprint rip via HP Designjet Z2100
export pdf's to Dynastrip 4.4.3 &Drag into hotfolders
Xitron Rip Navigator 7.0r3 , Trap Pro module
plate to Heidelburg topsetter

DI workflow uses Kodak Directworks (EFI Oneflow) for imposition + rip.

hi

We have alot of experince with Nexus and Total Rip, and I know this works. If i where you I would ask a EskoArtwork representative to look into your needs and see what they come up with, I am shure they have a solution for your problems.

Our prepress department uses Nexus. They bought the whole shebang, which is pricey, but they are in love with that software! The best part is the support; phone support is free and they person on the other end actually knows what they're talking about!

-Brian

Adam,
We can probably help you with most / all of this.
First, v7 Harlequin is gonna have trouble with pdf's / transparency. You need version 8.
v 6 - 7 - 8.0x all have the trap pro memory issues. Version 8.1 is on the near horizon, and a complete Trap Pro rewrite including the elimination of most memory / performance problems is promised.

In the meantime, it all boils down to how the Rip uses memory, some can be solved today, and some cannot. I have a fix to reduce or eliminate the "trap pro memory limit 256kb exceeded" call me for it. Put 4Gb ram in, any / harlequin TrapPro system must have 4 gb. Use the /3GB switch, and 1gb reserved for windows, and get your system to give navigator 2.3 or so GB of Ram.

If we can solve the memory issues, Xitron's Rip Manager is an excellent solution to workflow / pdf / dynastrip problems.

Xenith Seirra & Nexus are both excellent solutions, but expensive and start over propositions. (We can help with Xenith as well.)

Jim

Look at Heidelberg's Meta/SignaStation and/or Prepress Manager workflow. If you really want to step it up. You don't have to buy a whole "workflow", your shop could easily get by with one seat of SignaStation, and a Meta RIP. Every transparency problem you have today will be gone. And the standard screening out of Meta is second to none.

We use Rampage. RIPs fast, excellent trap control & monitor review that shows trap. RIP once and output to proofers and platesetters. Rampage's support team is excellent. Do your business and prepress techs a favor and check this workflow out.
Best regards,
Todd

Xitron is a good solution. None of them are bad choices. You just have to find what works best for you. They can all be tailored to a certain degree. With any the Harlequin RIP's you can remotely view the RIPped separations quite easily.

I agree with Jim and Matt, the Harlequin is probably the best choice but upgrade to v.8 is a must (and dirt cheap). Not only that 8 solves 99.999 percent of compatibility issues w. live transparency and CS3/4 output but it's dual-processor aware, and it just flies - how about a B1 size hi-res file w. total rip time under 30 seconds including cmyk painting on disk. You're better off with pretty much any intel core2duo machine, with 3 gigs ram and a speedy sata drive instead of your P4 server.

We have Rampage and have experienced a lot of issues, including one where we had a perfect monitor proof yet the plate was blank. Kinda scary. So not a true ROOM workflow. Also, pagelist corruption and proof files with skewed images. Tech support is OK, depending on who you get.

Rampage

Rampage

We are currently looking at switching from Nexus to Rampage 11.1. Rampage's price is very attractive but I am concerned about the problems swcook6 is experiencing. Anyone have other info on Rampage 11.1?

Hi all, the Harlequin 8.XX is pretty good value for money and I must agree with Jim, Matt and Maxon.
Apart from one or two attitude problems (loRES scaling factor etc.) Used together with Hamilroad's FirstProof you will have a decent workflow for most of your needs. We have installed this system at over thirty customers (ScreenPrinting) and all are quite happy.
The beauty of course is the K.I.S.S.-factor.

We run Rampage, have used it for almost 5 years now. Runs really well it is true ROOM workflow I rarely have any problems with the workflow only the crap people supply us.

AjR

Thanks for the help guys :)

We decided on continuing with the Xitron/Harlequin rip. We are upgrading to the new 8.1 software and getting the rip manager to help with the workflow......Cant wait!

Rampage

Rampage

I use Rampage now, and have used it for 8 years. I really like it, and have had no major problems with the workflow itself. As far as the problems swcook6 describes, it seems like there is a lot more going on there than just inherent Rampage problems. Obviously, if Rampage behaved that way no one would ever use it; and that is certainly not the case.

I recommend calling on the sales reps and having them come in do their pony shows and then ask the hard questions to actual users on a forum like this one.

I'm a big fan of the Heidelberg Prinect workflow and Agfa Apogee. I currently use Heidelberg Prinect and have very few complaints or issues. They offer a few different configurations at different price points depending on where you want to go with a workflow. HDM Signa Station is by far the leader in imposition software and Prinect Cockpit (preflight/prepare) just keeps getting better and better. HDM Meta Dimension (RIP) is PDF Engine based and I haven't ever had it eat a job or hang in 5 years of use. HDM bases almost all of their software off of Java so Mac/PC compatibility is not an issue and will not be an issue into the future. Apogee has pretty good price point and has a really nice flow plus you can use just about any imposition software you want with it.

Things to seriously consider are price point and future integration with other manufacturing systems.

Your best choice is to upgrade to the Navigator GPS Workflow which will include v. 8 of the RIP. While Jim-CompuDoc is correct on the patch to allow the application to run with more memory, the patch is only required if you are running Service Pac 2 on your XP computer. If you have Service Pac 3, this switch is automatically done and if you add the switch to the registry, the computer will start to crash continuosly (found this out the hard way).

The GPS should come with a new computer, so you will get full advantage of multiple processors and yes it will FLY......

I forgot to mention that the Viewer application with the GPS has variable zoom levels and also comes with 2 remote clients...

We use a Xitron Sierra workflow and absolutely love it! It's extremely fast, RIPs live transparencies with ease (although live transparencies on spot colors still fails...just doesn't crash or cause problems), the imposition is extremely fast and easy to use, the trapping is as fast and accurate as trapping can be and the price is within reach for a small shop. Good luck with your choice but I know what I'd do!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back