Need quick answer please form digital press pros

plategirl

How much different is digital printing from computer to plate (imposition mostly)? I have an interview in 15 hours for a position as a digital printer. I have 10 + years doing conventional striping and about 4 +years experience on direct to plate (Dynastrip and Creo) and also Quark. The shop mamager sounded impressed by my resume (it was an honest resume) but I still, I don't have design experience. How different is it, really? And how much should I ask for paywise, (right now I am making 7 and I do know I am somewhat underpaid) and does anyone have any tips for me? I do not know what system they use.

Has anyone else "gone to the dark side" by leaving web for digital printing, and did you like it?

Thank you.

Re: Need quick answer please form digital press pros

Imposition wise:

- You're limited to quite a small sheet (2-up format).
- You can collate the job in a number of ways, like when running a book or a variable data job.
- Most of the digital presses are perfecting presses (so no need to worry about work-and-turn etc.).
- You don't need to worry too much about the grip and lay sides (because digital presses don't have grips and lays).
- Most of the time the imposition is done on a proprietary system supplied with the press.

Basically, imposition is much easier on a digital press... you shouldn't have any problems.

Good luck with your interview!

Oh yes, and another thing:

I don't know how all the digital presses out there work, but most of them have some sort of internal, in-line, either pre- or post-fuser scanning device (usually densitometer I would assume) for keeping the press calibrated; which may or may not need to be supplemented by the operator scanning some test sheets ever now and then.

In theory then, the press is calibrated bringing it back to some stable state and then the jobs are run. Because there is no ink train you don't worry about bringing the press up to colour for each job. So there is no need for colour bars on your sheet - they're just a waste of toner.

Nicolas, your reply was exactly what I'd hoped to hear plus you gave me insight I hadn't known before. Thank you! The interview went well but as always (it seems), there is a minor sticking point with my lack of Illustrator and Photoshop experience. I'll find out soon enough either way...hate the waiting...hate the waiting.

PlateGirl,

Good Luck hope it will pan out for you.. I hate waiting also.

Here is a suggestion for you. Go get a book called CD in a classroom. For Illustrator and Photoshop. You might find them at a used bookstore or if not then maybe online new. I really do not know how much these books cost, but they come with a disk and have tutorials on them - as well as showing the basic sert of operations each program has. you may also need the application on your computer for these to work. But hey if this job you applied for does not pan out then you have an iodea of what might help you buff up the skill set you know you are needing to.

Good luck!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back