Neef ECRM Harlequin RIP 6.4 and Snow Leopard solution

JSM

Hi,

I realized that Snow Leopard does not support AppleTalk :mad: So I need an alternative solution. We are all Mac based, so I guess the only solution would be to go the Hot Folder route. Does anyone know how to go this route of setting up a hot folder and having jobs print from a Snow Leopard machine?

Thanks.

jsm

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the advice. Currently all our machines are running the Tiger OS 10.4.11, even the RIP is running the same version. Everybody is able to print to the RIP just fine using AppleTalk. But I will be getting a new Mac with Snow Leopard, and I just want to know how to set up a hot folder so that machine can also print to the RIP. Not sure what you mean by Named Pipes, but I do want to use hot folders with the RIP running on Tiger. Just need a little guidance on how I would go about doing that. Thanks.

Look in your input controller and see if NT Input is one of your choices. If so, you can create and share Windows printers. If it isn't, it is fairly easy to do. The installer should be on the ECRM CD.

Hi,

I realized that Snow Leopard does not support AppleTalk :mad: So I need an alternative solution. We are all Mac based, so I guess the only solution would be to go the Hot Folder route. Does anyone know how to go this route of setting up a hot folder and having jobs print from a Snow Leopard machine?

Thanks.

jsm

JSM,

It seems your question was not understood by all. Since your RIP is on a Mac, it will be fairly simple for you. You don't have to add anything to the RIP because Hot Folders are already there as an input option. If you have an IT guy for your Macs, all you have to do is communicate using IP Addresses to connect to the RIP as well as your other Macs or server. If you don't have anyone who can help you with this, we can. Just contact me directly.

Don

There are still a variety of ways to print from 10.6 to an older Harlequin RIP. You don't necessarily have to upgrade the RIP but it wouldn't hurt if you are having compatibility issues with jobs.

There are instructions on the following page that will break down how to create and print to the RIP using a variety of methods:

RTI Harlequin RIP Technical Support - RTI Harlequin RIP Software Support

If you are printing to a RIP running Macintosh OS X then you can create a socket input on the RIP computer (there is a video at the link above) and from there you can share out the printer. This will allow your 10.6 machines to see the printer.

If you are running the RIP on Windows then you would create a shared Windows Printer (using NT Inputs) as listed by other viewers. There are also instructions for this on the page as well as a video. Hope this information helps you get back up and running.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back