Networking PC to Mac

BigSi

Hi there.

I'm having a problem over my network. PC to Mac. I put a file in my shared folder on my PC and I can't see it on my Mac unless I restart the mac. Its fine the other way. All my macs are seeing each other fine.

My PC is running 2000. My macs are running 10.4.11

Maybe there is some sort of refresh command instead of having to restart the mac? if so where is it?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm only a small printer. I'm everthing including printer, tea lady and IT person

Thanks Simon

Re: Networking PC to Mac

I have a shortcut to my pc shared folder on my mac desktop. When I doubleclick the shortcut the folder appears as a mounted volume on my desktop. If I have a refresh issue I unmount the shared folder by dragging it into the trash and then double clicking the shortcut on my desktop again and when it pops up on my desktop its all refreshed. No restart needed. I also use sharepoints software on mac to easily share folders with pc's on the network. Simple but works for me fine.

Nelly

> {quote:title=BigSi wrote:}{quote}
> I put a file in my shared folder on my PC and I can't see it on my Mac unless I restart the mac.

I'l assume you mean Windows when you say PC.

There isn't a "refresh" command in the Mac Finder like there is in the Windows file Explorer.
[Make Automator Plug-in|http://neoporcupine.blogspot.com/2006/07/refresh-finder-plug-in-applescript.html]
[AppleScript in Finder Toolbar|http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050518175502341]

You can also manually create then delete a folder to force the refresh.

Chasd.

I browsed for it with "connect to server" and it was there. I can't remember how it was setup tbh on the mac. Sorry i can't supply more info.

when you do the "connect to server" you are browsing to your windows box. You should see the address at the top of the window, it will either say :
afp://yourwindowsboxname or smb://yourwindowsboxname

that will tell us how you are connected.

The only AppleTalk support in Windows 2000 is for printing to AppleTalk printers. For a Mac to access the Win2k workstation they would have had to install something on the workstation to allow such functionality. Those programs were "buggy" and unreliable at best. So I'm pretty confident that he is connecting via SMB.

Maybe he's referring to Win2k Server which has "classic AppleTalk" support. Mac OS X 10.3 I think it was changed to AppleTalk 3.x. That could be a problem....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back