New here and to printing industry

Enrique

Hi everyone,

As the title states, I'm new here and to the printing industry as well (relatively). My professional background is in design, having done websites, posters, booth graphics, banners, etc. for mostly entertainment companies. Through that I had experience preparing camera-ready art, dielines and placing print orders.

Over the past couple of years, however, I've had one case of bad luck after another and was unemployed the majority of last year. After being let go from my last design job, a friend got me a pre-press job. I'm not really exaggerating when I say pre-press probably saved my sanity :)

Some may consider going from 10+ years of design work to pre-press a downgrade (ok, the pay is), but quite frankly this is EXACTLY what I needed, at the right time. I was getting depressed with the design jobs, my work was getting stale and I just wasn't happy. Now, I have a little more free time, I'm learning something new every day about the print industry, and I'm even exploring a few things to do on the side (printing related, of course).

So that's the gist of it. I've been browsing these forums for a while and learning things, so I hope to continue to learn more and hopefully contribute as well!

Hi Enrique,

Welcome to the forum :) It is a valuable place to pick up new knowledge and meet new people. Lots of helpful and knowledgeable folk who will help with any questions you may have. Good luck in your new role and I hope you enjoy the Print Trade.
Noel

You'll find that you'll probably be better off financially as well. I've heard that design firms pay their top people the largest salaries and spend more on making their offices "trendy" leaving little to pay the "grunt workers"

Well as I said right now I'm making a lot less than when I was an in-house designer, but it's still enough to live off of plus leaves me time to do sidework. Hopefully I'll be making a little more in a year or two :)

But you are right... even if upper management isn't making much more than the designers, they still get perks like more vacation, company car, buying things under the company name, etc., which explains why there's never money for the things a designer really needs (i.e. decent printer, tablet replacement, etc.)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back