New Imposition Software

bradw99

Registered Users
We are making an upgrade to our RIP and need to replace or upgrade our imposition software. We currently are running Preps v5.3. I would like the forum thoughts about Preps vs Quite Imposing. The digital presses, wide format & Xante all have their own RIPs so it would be only for making plates for the offset presses. I know what Preps can do but what can Quite Imposing not do? Also looking a Quite Imposing website there are Acrobat plugin and standalone. Are there much differences beside price?
Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks, Brad

Quite Imposing alone is a PDF plug-in. If you use Preps like we did at a shop I used to work at, we used it as a hot folder where we would drop in dozens of business cards, postcards, or notepads for gang runs. In order to do this with the Quite suite, you need to get 'Quite Hot Imposing' to make hot folders. Another thing that Quite used to lack that we liked about Preps was the ability to make dutch cut layouts. Luckily, Quite Imposing added this capability in version 3.0. I found that Quite has some unique features that came in handy every so often like splitting pages in half when a customer provided a layout already in readers spreads. You can also add numbering, stamps, mask out an area on all sheets, etc.

One thing I cannot vouch for is if the files place into a template in the order that you drop them, simply because when I was at the job where I used Quite, it didn't come up. I'll explain what I mean...When we did gang run business cards 63 up, the pressman wanted me to place similarly colored business cards in the same column so he could adjust the colors better on the press. When dropping the files in Preps, I knew that they would start at the top of the first column, then go down, then to the next column and so on. If this is how you also use Preps, then you might want to check with the Quite salesman.

Quite works left to right, but there is the shuffle feature that will order the pages so that they will fall in the proper spot for column-wise imposition. We used it a lot for cutting numbered items. Wouldn't know how to live without Quite. So many things I can do with it.

Not knowing what types of work you do, my first question would be do you require shingling/creep on jobs? I could be wrong (someone please correct me if I am!), but I do not believe QIP offers shingling.

On a side note, if you will be needing hot folder-based imposition (and shingling (they call it paper thickness correction) capability), there is another product on the market with a less expensive price point: http://www.montax-imposer.com

pd

Last edited:
I know you are not asking about other options too, but there is also Metrix. Which is by EFI now. https://www.efi.com/products/produc.../efi-metrix-planning-and-imposition/overview/

Warning from a current EFI user: stay away from any EFI software if you can help it. We have Pace, Metrix, and (M)DSF. It might look nice on the outside (and it truly often has potential), but on the inside you'll find a mess of bugs, defects, and issues that are rarely addressed. 18-24 month development cycles that focus on new features instead of fixing defects. You'll more than likely pay a higher price than any other competing software for it too. Stay away if you can.

Not knowing what types of work you do, my first question would be do you require shingling/creep on jobs? I could be wrong (someone please correct me if I am!), but I do not believe QIP offers shingling.

On a side note, if you will be needing hot folder-based imposition (and shingling (they call it paper thickness correction) capability), there is another product on the market with a less expensive price point: http://www.montax-imposer.com

pd

QI has creep settings.

We changed from Preps 6 to Imposition studio (By Devalipi) about a year ago now, definitely no regrets, way better software than preps (the adobe engine is actually up to date unlike preps 6) and the developers are very approachable and respond by email quickly to any issues. We run offset and digital presses and it works well for both and it actually very easy and intuiative to learn. Definitely recommend it.

We are making an upgrade to our RIP and need to replace or upgrade our imposition software. We currently are running Preps v5.3. I would like the forum thoughts about Preps vs Quite Imposing. The digital presses, wide format & Xante all have their own RIPs so it would be only for making plates for the offset presses. I know what Preps can do but what can Quite Imposing not do? Also looking a Quite Imposing website there are Acrobat plugin and standalone. Are there much differences beside price?
Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks, Brad
Hello Brad, Dynamic imposition software with modular features you need. Review the website- Imposition and Ganging Large Format Diecut Print Estimation You may also see the videos here- Prepress Software Ganging Print Estimation and Imposition

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back