New to printing: Canon IR C9065 vs. Xerox 700

tbone56

I am very new to printing and the technology that is used. I currently own a Canon IR C5185. We primarily print business cards and only use 80lb cover. The machine has been good until lately when it has required more maintenance each week. We probably run around 5-6k sheets a week, all duplexed and have 600,000 prints in that stock and another 500,000 in lesser weight stock.

I have been talking with sales reps for the above machines and wanted to get some other opinions. They recommended the respective machines as suitable for our needs.
We have a few changes we would like to make in what we offer and want to make sure we get a machine that will handle them.

We would like to move to 100 cover as our standard paper. We would like to provide additional products (post cards, letterhead, stationery...) down the road and all the options that come with those (coated, heavy stock…)

For this to work in my environment, we would need to print business cards, 24up on 13x19 stock. My concerns are, can the machines handle that, will the longer paper skew or be less aligned, and how does the service compare?

We are located in North Texas.

Does anyone have any advice on either of these machines regarding quality, maintenance, production...? I would greatly appreciate it. Did I miss something?

Thanks.

We have a 700 and went to a demo on the 9065. The issue with both machines is registration. On the heavier weight stock your constantly adjusing registration to get front to back registration on especially on 13x19. We have given up and only run the cards 10up on letter. There's less cutting and we figure the clabor cost in cutting cards down from 13x19 vs letter is a bigger savings than the .048 click rate for the extra sheets.

I have a IR C9065. Machines is good. No problem printing heavy stock. Registration is good (within spec +/- 1mm). PM me if you decide to go with Canon...

Jp rpp

Jp rpp

I work for an industry manufacturer/vendor in a sales capacity. Take a look at the new Ricoh Pro C751 that was just announced last week. Take note of some of the breakthrough technology that will address your concerns about 4/4 registration. The image quality and paper handling are outstanding. Definitely worth a look.

I work for an industry manufacturer/vendor in a sales capacity. Take a look at the new Ricoh Pro C751 that was just announced last week. Take note of some of the breakthrough technology that will address your concerns about 4/4 registration. The image quality and paper handling are outstanding. Definitely worth a look.

I wonder where he could work?

I wonder where he could work?

I don't know where that guys works but I am a Ricoh tech and I can tell you the registration will not be a problem with the Pro c751. It works the same as the Pro c901/900 and I have never had a customer have a complaint about registration on those.

Xerox 700

Xerox 700

Hi,
I have a Xerox 700 from about 8 month.
We had a lot of problem when the machine was installed. Now, after 8 month, the technician give a lot of improvements: new firmware, new fusor, new RIP and Command Workstation 5 which give me consistent color.
I think with canon you can have more problems with heavy paper. We print 350gsm duplex without problems, 450gsm (over specify) with long grain fiber.
No problems when I print, for example, 300 sheet: we have consistent color, no problem on the side of the sheet. We have only a problem with 150/170 gsm paper sheet: the machine take 2 or more sheet due to a feeding problem. The technician are trying to solve the problem with new small wheels on feeding.
Another important thing: we don't use specially paper, we use paper from offset cm 70x100 and then cut to 33x48,8.

Does anyone have any advice on either of these machines regarding quality, maintenance, production...?

Quality is subjective, what looks good to me may be horrible to you and vice versa. It's probably fair to say that quality is good on both models.

About maintenance and production, you'll see that the Xerox 700 has different components that you can replace yourself without having to place a service call. The benefit to you, maximize your uptime. In production environments, you and your vendor need to be committed to keep the equipment up and running quickly.

Those items are:
- Toner, which you can do on any machine, but toners on the Xerox 700 also have developer in it so every time you change one, you are putting fresh developer into the machine without knowing about it. It translates into consistent color quality
- Drums, 3 colors and 1 black
- Fuser, plug and play, your downtime will be 5 minutes if your fuser breaks

if you see a benefit on this, it may be worth it.

Thanks for your help guys. Before I get any further into the comparison, I need to check on what you guys know about duplexing on these.

We will be using 100 cover and need duplexing. I know the specs say 80 cover is match for auto duplexing but will either of the machines auto duplex 100 cover?

If not, I may be looking at the wrong machines.

you are correct, the specs say 80lb cover is the max.

feel free to try 100lb cover at your own risk. If it's not in the specs, it won't be guaranteed/supported by the vendor.

however, I've seen many customer duplexing automatically 100lb cover on the Xerox 700, for some of them it works perfect, but for some of them it does not work at all. The quality of the paper you buy makes a big difference; always buy short grain.

Quality is subjective, what looks good to me may be horrible to you and vice versa. It's probably fair to say that quality is good on both models.

About maintenance and production, you'll see that the Xerox 700 has different components that you can replace yourself without having to place a service call. The benefit to you, maximize your uptime. In production environments, you and your vendor need to be committed to keep the equipment up and running quickly.

Those items are:
- Toner, which you can do on any machine, but toners on the Xerox 700 also have developer in it so every time you change one, you are putting fresh developer into the machine without knowing about it. It translates into consistent color quality
- Drums, 3 colors and 1 black
- Fuser, plug and play, your downtime will be 5 minutes if your fuser breaks

if you see a benefit on this, it may be worth it.
I just wanted to make this known, the ricoh has the same replaceable units. The doing is1200by 4800. It is not spec to do 110 lb cover auto duplex,however it will do 256 gsm.

All is will add is if you have been satasfied with the 5185 you will be overjoyed with the 9065. There is no comparison between the 2. If you want heavy stock get the multi deck or POD deck lite as both offer air assisted feed which is very good for coated and heavier stocks. The papaer catalogue and how you can set up different stocks on the Canon series of products leaves most other brands for dead. For the volumes you are talking about the 9065 is a good solid box as are Xerox and Ricoh. If you are happy with current service on Canon that is a factor to consider. All the best, let us know which way you go.

If you are just running business cards is manual duplexing that big of a deal? It's going to take the machine the same amount of time to print it using auto duplex as it would if you manually flip it.

I will primarily be doing business cards and all on 100lb cover. Weekly, it will be around 6k sheets. It is all VD, so I am worried about the time it takes and mixing up prints if we manual.

So my biggest factor is if all I do is 100lb cover, then is it worth it to get a press machine that will auto it, even thought my volume is not entirely there?

Anyone out there run alot of business cards and have an input?

I think you need to do the math and find your break even point.

How much your desired machine is going to cost you per month?

How much revenue/profit those 24k monthly sheets will bring?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back