Newbie asks: Can we use each plate twice for low runs?

Biosizzle

We very recently procured a Ryobi 3404DI. Originally we acquired it to take care of our longer runs instead of outsourcing. However much of our business is short run, short lived promo materials. I doubt we will EVER wear out the plate material to its rated 30,000 impressions. Upon reading that we can "re-burn" a plate that doesn't work out for what ever reason, and also burn flat for whatever reason, I came up with an idea.
Why then, if the original burn depth is kept relatively shallow, could we not burn a job, run say, 2000 sheets, then burn another job over the top of that? Assuming of course both are short run, and not super critical printing.
Any ideas? Does anybody do this?

Great Idea

Great Idea

I doubt Presstek would like that. Their machines are based on the Consumable Burning engine theory. The more plates you use the better the profits for them and investors. But if it could be done that would save lots of money for DI owners everywhere. Nice concept and idea you have.
Maybe a 2 sided DI plate?

CYMK
Digitalprintplanet.com
Presstechnician.com

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back