OKI 9850 Envelope Printer - Toner question

joshlindsay

We're using an Oki C9850 with straight shooter for envelope printing.
Our click charge is $0.15 per print which works out to be the price to cover the cost of 2 sets of toner, 1 set drums, 1 fuser and 1 transfer belt over 30k impressions.

I've found some compatible toner out of China that is heaps cheaper.
Has anyone tried running anything other the the genuine toner?

If you have a click charge, then you are under a contract with Oki and cannot just go get any toner. If you do, you void the contract, with whatever legal swords fall on your head because of it. Then if that cheap toner messes up your machine, you are up the creek with your own paddle.

If it makes you feel any better, you ought to have gotten one of those machines from Xante or PSI and have to buy the toner from them at three times the price.

I have heard mixed reviews on cheap toners for the Xante Ilumina (based on an OKI engine). Some seem to work fine, others mess up your drums and cause you to have to replace them very early. I only use original Xante toners myself so I can't tell you from first hand experience. You can expect some color differences with the original toner, so it also depends on how color accurate your prints need to be.

If you have a click charge, then you are under a contract with Oki and cannot just go get any toner. If you do, you void the contract, with whatever legal swords fall on your head because of it. Then if that cheap toner messes up your machine, you are up the creek with your own paddle.

If it makes you feel any better, you ought to have gotten one of those machines from Xante or PSI and have to buy the toner from them at three times the price.

Thanks for the reply. We've been under for click cost for 3 years and I don't believe there was a term as we purchased the machine outright.

The reseller would probably like to get out as the genuine consumables aren't lasting their full life so it's costing them more money.

I thought $150/thou was an outrageous price. Can't believe Xante owners are paying more.

I have heard mixed reviews on cheap toners for the Xante Ilumina (based on an OKI engine). Some seem to work fine, others mess up your drums and cause you to have to replace them very early. I only use original Xante toners myself so I can't tell you from first hand experience. You can expect some color differences with the original toner, so it also depends on how color accurate your prints need to be.

That's not what I was hoping to hear. Was hoping that it'd be like monitors where they all come from the same factory.

Might be worth ordering a set and seeing how they run before talking with OKI reseller.

We use in our machines and supply to our customers an aftermarket toner, they go trough about 40 cartridges per month - no complains but this is not a Chinese toner, it is from well respected USA supplier that does it's own R&D as well as production. I will believe that they might manufacture it in China or elsewhere but it is their own formula not just buy in bulk and sell...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back