ORIS Color Tuner and paper simulation...

Nick Danger

We are running an EPSON 9900 with ORIS ColorTuner 5.5.2. We apply a SWOP 3 paper grade to every proof in our SWOP 3 Hot Folder. There are 2 other hot folders used for in house proofing that don't need the simulation. It seems everytime we calibrate, all of the hot folders revert to having the simulation.

We used to have a color guru in the Corporation that would fix this. Unfortunately, that division doesn't exist anymore and are now trying to figure it out for ourselves. We have basically turned over every rock and peeked in every nook/cranny etc and can't find one iota referencing it.

Could it be that it's built in to the cal profile we are using? If the cal profile isn't present in hot folder, the color is way off however, the simulation is gone.

I found a check box under Print Layout>Apply Filter which puts in 5% CMYK. However, if disabled, it doesn't remove simulation.

ND

Been a while since I've used ORIS, but most proofing software has a setting on how to use the profile... absolute or relative colorimetric. Absolute would give the paper sim, relative would not.

Thanks for the reply, We got it figured out as apparently there is a dat file w/o the simulation...

So easy, yet so difficult...

THanks again, Nd

From what I remember in Oris the dat file was made using the linearisation, the paper/proofer profile and the target profile. The rendering intent would be selected at the point of creating the file. So you wouldn't be able to use same dat file for different paper simulations. If you use Oris colour matching instead of the icc/dat route you can dial out the paper simulation at the end of the colour matching just by setting a 'colour' for c=0 m=0 y=0 k=0.
hope this helps

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back