Overprint preview in Acrobat-how to make a PDF view the same without it on?

dub

We have a customer that will not turn on their overprint preview mode in Acrobat Reader and will reject PDF proofs due to missing images etc. that are there once overprint preview is turned on.

How can I make a PDF out of AI CS3 that anyone can open and it will view the same in Acrobat with overprint preview on or off or even view correctly in Apple's Preview software?

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance for the info...

-Dub

Re: Overprint preview in Acrobat-how to make a PDF view the same without it

I think it's hopeless, rejecting a print-intended PDF because you don't want to set your Acrobat preferences properly is a bit like blaming McDonald's for belly pain after eating your Big Mac without unwrapping it first!

when we create a pdf for a "proof" we put details above the artwork detailing how to set overprint on in reader, and a disclaimer stating failure to do so, and there's something you don't see, does not make us liable - pdf's must be viewed with overprint preview on.

Seems that this is the reason why web-based soft proofing has been invented:

- No need to move files around
- Better control of viewing conditions for content or color approval
- Better tracking of approval statuses
- Better control of content re-use
- Annotations / E-mails / Advanced approval cycles ....

And probably many other great advantages.

Stephane.

Just to add a minor note to this...

Adobe is well aware of the problem of inconsistent rendering of documents
containing Overprinting in various readers (both ours and others). One way
in which we would like to see the industry move forward in this regard is
via the use of a standard that would say to a viewer - "you must ALWAYS
preview Overprint". We believe that standard is PDF/X.

So if you are working with Overprint (either explicitly or implicitly),
PLEASE be sure to create PDF/X compliant files.

Leonard

I understand your point Leonard, but supplying PDFx files doesn't solve the problem of having people not wanting (or just not knowing) to set "Overprint Preview" on. What would be good though is if Acrobat could read the PDFX tag when opening the file and automatically put the "Overprint Preview" on.

Could there be a tag or switch put into PDFs that could trigger overprint preview, Leonard? Quark files have always carried some preference information, so something like that?

rich

Hi Leonard

Rich has a great idea here. Acrobat already allows you to set other initial view information in the Document Properties. How about including an overprint setting here?

Shawn

missing images

missing images

I have an additional question regarding the overprint issue. I have many files that have a problem printing images that are somehow involved with overprint. I discovered that when I go to print these pages and I look at the little preview window, the images in question are already missing! I found a white layer on top that is apparently used to feather the transparency into the background, which is usually a spot color. When I print these pages to a ps printer, the images disappear just like the preview shows. What is causing this and is there a solution?

PDF x is the tagg to trigger overprint preview. In Adobe reader a PDF x will view with overprint and simulate the output intent!

If you must there is also the option to simulate overprint when you create the file, this will turn the overprint into flattened CMYK data (well that is a simplified explanation). I allways send customers files with simulated overprint, since they will also print correct, or rather the same independant of postscript compatibility.

In the "advanced..." tab of the Acrobat Pro print window, make sure the "Simulate Overprinting" box is checked at the "output" pane.

overprint issue

overprint issue

Well, I discovered the "simulate overprint" function and checked it and my missing image appeared. But it also changed the page coloring, and in some spots lighter boxes appeared behind images where there was an even coloring before. The background color is a Pantone color, 50% of 293CVC.

We use a Prinergy EVO workflow and it runs through our system fine, but proofing to a ps device is a big problem and the customers don't understand or care why the proofs don't look right.

We were using an Iris 43 Wide for basic proofing and an Epson 10600 w/DuPont RIP for HiRez and both worked fine. But the Iris is old and hasn't been supported for a while now and the ones we have just aren't going to last much longer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In the same advanced.../Output tab, make sure your profile is set to "Same as Source (no color management)"

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back