Paper fetish ;-)

seejay

A question for all our friends across the pond. In the UK and europe we 'generally' run to a standard trim size A4 (210x297) - however, we are regularly asked by clients for a trim size for 'US A4' for material being produced for both european and US markets

So far I have been given a number of definitions ranging from: 216x279, 280x215, 280x210, 285x220 to name but a few.

Searches on the net are ambiguous, with no definitive standard for American or US A4. Can anyone clarify this to me or point me in the right direction to a US standards website.

Seejay

Re: Paper fetish ;-)

You mean a US letter size? (It really does become ambiguous when you start calling it a "US A4!")

I think a US +letter+ is 216x279. (But I wouldn't really know, because we're metric here.)

Re: Paper fetish ;-)

seejay,

I have U.S. version of CS3. When I go to Illustrator's Document Setup, if I choose A4...
and then choose inches, it's 8.2677 x 11.6929.
and then choose millimeters, it's 210 x297.

This is not a U.S. letter size.

When I go to Illustrator's Document Setup, if I choose Letter...
and then choose inches, it's 8.5 x 11.
and then choose millimeters, it's 215.9 x 279.4.

So A4 and Letter are different sizes, and these can easily be obtained from Adobe Illustrator's Document Setup (as well as other sizes).

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back