paper to use for Gracol qualification?

stargate

Question for those of you who are doing Gracol qualifications. What paper do you use on press today?
It looks that Lustro LOE is EOL. What other paper do you use it?

I have nothing to add except I really want to know as well! Lustro Gloss has been our in-house default for years and now we need to replace it. With what?

Where are all the people that have "Certified Experts" in their signatures? Why are they are so quite suddenly?

I don't think there is a great answer here. Stocks that are within ISO12647-2 specs are not easily obtained and keep changing. I personally don't find it beneficial to use a substrate atypical from the production stock used day in/day out when undergoing a calibration process, meaning I wouldn't obtain a special stock just to hit the spec, only to never user it in production. Internally at my company we are using Creator, which is close. Note that there is discussion ongoing to allowing for "paper" relative" G7 qualification.

What stock you use on the press is dictated by the customer right? So if a customer wants to use paper within "Gracol specs" that's his/her choice. But on the other hand to pass qualification I MUST use paper within specs. Correct?

I would love if Gracol qualification was paper relative but it is not.

So what papers we should use now for re-qualification? Is there one paper now that meets Gracol Lab values? Which one?

Which Creator or which Flo? What's the full name of the paper, so I can get it and measure it.

Mike, you obviously know the non UV filtered Lab values of you paper by heart? ????

Derek

What stock you use on the press is dictated by the customer right? So if a customer wants to use paper within "Gracol specs" that's his/her choice.

Yes, but know there is talk among Idealliance and the Print Properties Committee about how to address the issue when the availability of paper that meets the spec is sparse.

Which Creator or which Flo? What's the full name of the paper, so I can get it and measure it.

Creator Star

Mike, you obviously know the non UV filtered Lab values of you paper by heart? ????

Today it measured 95, 1.1, -4. Like I said, close. ;)

Yes. It's close but it would not pass qualification if you would get -4.1 on b value on the day of a press run

Would not pass "Gracol" qualification (in its current incarnation, though paper relativity is in the works). Would pass basic G7 Master qualification.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back