Parental Controls in OSX Tiger

Norcrans

I don't know if this is in the right place or not but I'm going to give it a shot. Didn't see anything on this topic while doing a search so if there is a thread out there let me know.

I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I want to use the parental controls in OSX Tiger to limit access to applications for a certain user. The problem I have is that when I go into the application portion to limit access some of the applications are not showing up in the list. For example all of my Adobe CS3 applications show up in the list but all of the CS4 applications DO NOT. When I try and add the CS4 applications that are missing I get the message; "Adobe InDesign CS4.app" does not work with the limitations you have selected. I am trying to do the administration of the programs with the user I have set up as the administrator of the machine. The user I am trying to set up the parental controls on does not administration rights. I have compared the user permissions between InDesign CS3 and InDesign CS4 and they are the same.

Any ideas?

Mac Dual 1.8 PowerPC G5
2.5GB Ram
Mac OSX 10.4.11

In your user account settings, make sure you select "allow supporting programs". Hopefully that takes care of it.

I had tried selecting "allow supporting programs" yesterday before posting and this had no affect on the applications seen in the window.

Parental controls in OS x.

Parental controls in OS x.

When you make the account for the person you want to restrict, you should make the account a regular account first off. This keeps the account from having administrative rights.

Since you have made this account a regular account, you are already in the place you need to be. Click on the enable Parental Controls check box to select it. Click on the button to open Parental Controls. in the dialogue box that appears, check the box that says only allow selected applicaitions. I believe that the applications that are checked are the ones the person whose account you are restricting will be able to use. Try this and see what happens and let us know here in the forum.

I did the above using Leopard, but I do believe that it will be the same for Tiger. We only have one computer with Tiger on it any more and my kids are all over it so I can't go and try it out there.

Bill J.

Last edited:
Please see original post before posting on this thead. I am asking if anyone has seen an issue with the parental controls not listing all of the applications that are loaded to a particular computer. I know how to configure the parental controls and have used the parental controls several times in the past but I have never had an issue with the parental controls not listing all of the applications that are loaded on the computer.

I created a new user just to see what you were talking about. From the get go I told it that it was Managed with Parental Controls. I then told it I wanted to look at applications. I got a LOT of applications to show up in my window. ALL of the CS3 and CS4 programs were in my list.
Maybe it was because of the first step where I told it to be managed from the beginning?

kaiserwilhelm - I just tried creating a new user and immediately after creating the new user I went into the Parental Controls and clicked on Configure for the finder.app & system section and I received the same list of applications that I received while trying to configure the original user. It's stripped down and missing the CS4 applications. I thought maybe you were onto sometihing because I had not tried creating a new user yet and managing it before doing anything else.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back