PDF out of InDesign

cseas

We've had problems with fonts re-flowing when opening a PDF exported out of InDesign and opened in Illustrator. (To use the DeskPack Tools)
We tried the Create Outlines option in InDesign and that caused problems. I use to work in a shop that had ArtPro and that handled the import of PDF out of InDesign better. Can someone recommend the best setting to use when exporting a PDF from InDesign, specifically to then open in Illustrator without any major surprises. Thanks!

Hi cseas,

We export with all transparency maintained (not flattened) with fonts fully embedded and no color changes.

Out of curiosity, what problems did InDesign's "Create Outlines" feature cause?

Best regards,
hp

Adobe do not recommend opening PDF files created outside of Illustrator in Illustrator (just to get that out of the way, as it will always come up in these discussions).

Have you looked at creating outlines of the text in Adobe Acrobat Pro?

Stephen Marsh

Hi Stephen,

Yeah, I'm aware of the recommendation of not opening PDFs created outside of Illustrator. The problem we have is that we need to bring in these file to use the Esko DeskPack tools(Trap). I'll have to look into maybe creating a workflow that would import the InDesign PDF, trap it, and export out a Normalized PDF(?) Any ideas?

Haven't tried to create outlines in Acrobat. I have imported the PDF in NexusEdit(ArtPro Lite), outlined the fonts, exported PDF and brought that into Illustrator. (Or just manual trapped in NexusEdit and exported final Normalized PDF from there.)

Thanks!
cesar

cesar, it sounds like your Esko work-flow is going to be easier than using Acrobat Pro to outline the fonts.

Of course, working on a copy of the original font file is good if one has to outline fonts. Fonts outlined to paths will often print a little bit fatter/bolder on most laser and inkjet printers (when compared to the original font file). This can sometimes be good for reverse text!

If one is converting fonts to paths in Illustrator, then this script may come in handy:

http://www.prepression.blogspot.com/2008/12/retaining-outlined-font-metadata-in.html

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
This may be of interest to you. It's a new DeskPack plugin for Illustrator called PDF Import. It will allow you to open Normalized PDF's in Ai without losing any features of the Normalized PDF. (PDF out of InDesign, Norm in AE10/BS7, then open in Ai).
Here's the link to the info, you may download a full working version on a trial for FREE ----> NEW! DeskPack PDF Import - Esko

Thanks for the info and link Stephen.

@eskopdl
I thought about this plug-in too. But after contacting Esko I learned that it's only designed for Normalized PDFs and it's not possible to export a Normalized PDF from InDesign. They did send me this handy link for the recommended export PDF settings for prepress:

GWG | Application Settings | Application Settings

You choose the application you are using, then find how the PDF will be used and pick that option.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.

cheers!
cesar

eskopdl -

It would be great if any of your posts actually addressed the issues people are having instead of simply doing shameless plugs for Esko products that seem to rarely even apply to the issue at hand. People dont normally post their issues just to be presented with more software to purchase! Maybe next time try to offer a solution that would work with the tools that the person already has or if you cannot offer any assistance just dont waste the post.

End Rant

Since the thread is in the Esko forum there was half a chance that Cesar uses a workflow that involves "Normalization" of files, I specified that as a prerequisite in my post, (PDF out of InDesign, Norm in AE10/BS7, then open in Ai). Apparently even Cesar thought my suggestion might have been a viable option as he seems to have independently explored that option prior to my posting. Go figure.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back