PDF Workflow - best variable print exception tool yet (JDF)

JDF4PDF

During the last 15 years I have worked as a sales engineer and solutions consultant with Ricoh, Canon, Xerox and Oce'. I have experience with a great many different print controllers, or RIPs.

I met a developer from PA who created a tool for variable print exceptions in a digital PDF workflow. It is a PC workstation-based application that has been around for about 4 years. He uses conditional logic to dynamically generate JDF instructions to execute imposition, group-for-print, image rotation, tray calls, etc. for any number of PDF files. This program is device independent. It has been tested and works with all major manufacturers and their OEM controllers, and with Fiery's and PrismaSync. Of course there are templates and hot folders to automate all of this for high volume shops, web2print, etc.

(JDF4PDF at GMAIL dot COM)

The coolest thing about his software is, the GUI is amazingly simple. The setup requires only that you create custom media (Type 2 media) on your device, and that your paper catalog (RIP) knows it's there. Once this is done, you browse to one, or a collection of PDF's, and the GUI shows you both thumbnails and onscreen page content. You can generate job definition format dynamically from PDF file content in one of three ways -

1) File Name - create print exceptions based on PDF file names.
2) Text on Page - create print exceptions by swiping a character string
3) X and Y coords - JDF based on occurrence of any content that appears in the same place.

This company is committed to the success of its customers. They will not sell without a successful trial first in the customer's environment. And here's the kicker - they don't charge pro services for anything. If you buy one or more of the modules (See above, 1, 2, 3), any customization for your individual needs, before or after the initial scope, comes with. That is unheard of.

He has been creating both hardware and software solutions for high volume print since the 1970's. He recounted to me how big digital press corporations/solutions providers have over-promised and under-delivered when it comes to automation for high volume, in many instances. How large repro customers customers have gone bankrupt waiting for their vendors with their supposedly huge pools of resources and talent to fix problems with complex workflows.

I have a great affection for this company, because he proved to me that a)His uniquely simplified approach works beautifully, and b) He is totally committed to a value proposition unlike any other provider in this industry.

My career with major manufacturers has taught me that pro services are a huge profit machine, and when you printers run into trouble, you had better pay up or you can expect a huge fight for any onsite or development support.

I promised this developer I would spread the word about this truly original solution. Message me, reply to this thread, or email me at my Gmail account. You have nothing to lose - he doesn't take a dime until proof of concept is done.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back