Phase Converter

We are installing a new Ricoh T6250 and it requires 3 Phase Delta configuration. Our shop only has single phase currently. Does anyone have any recommendations on converters or suppliers?

Don't know much about this, but from what I've been told, stay away from the analog phase converters. The digital converters are supposed to be far better.
My second suggestion would be to find a different building or get 3 phase to your location. You'll have less headaches in the end.

Why not contact your local electrical provider, If you rent clear it with your landlord, follow the rules and local codes. Richo should provide you a pre-installation sheet for voltage needed, highest/lowest ranges for Transformer taps.

We own the building and running 3 phase to it is not a possibility. Ricoh so far is only able to provide the machine requirements. I've been shopping converters and transformers and have been getting results across the board as far as horsepower and pricing.... Looking like it is going to be around $5k regardless. When you say Analog converter are you referring to a rotary style?

Yeah, rotary, that's the word I was looking for. It sounds daunting to consider moving but I've only heard bad things about these converters. I would for sure work with an expert electrician that has been through this before. Then he can be insured to replace the equipment when something gets fried on your new toy and the vendor starts pointing fingers-assuming he'll stand behind the converter he sells.

Hey if Richo wishes to install that machine let them pay for it, or offer to help. What happens if you pay for all that and the printer is a POS. Maybe shop around

Ricoh should be able to connect you to technical support or an engineer. 3-Phase power is run only to certain zoning, i.e., industrial. If your able to get 3-phase your going to have to spend the money for additional electrical boxes and running the 3 phase lines through your shop.

I suggest contacting Ricoh and asking for a local sales rep. if you already don't have one. Equipment manufacturers are always willing to take you to other companies that are running the same machines that your interested in... you can gain a lot of honest insight about the machine after talking to a "real" end-user. When I previously purchase equipment with significant investment I always demand to see it operating in a production shop. This allows you to differentiate between the BS that a sales rep. will spew to sell the machine and what you can actually expect to get in a real world situation.

When using phase converters go digital, they are better. Also, its a must to get a voltage line conditioner and installing it between the phase converter and the machine. If you don't have a line conditioner your going to run into problems with print consistency. Highly recommend that you talk to a Ricoh engineer that is familiar with the particular machine your interested in and its setup requirements. In the past I've been able to get a conference call with engineer, sales rep. and an electrician... but this has been with Fujifilm... If you can do this, its your best bet.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back