Plate Developing Problems

peewee

Hi guys,

I trained years ago on a GTO 46 but been out of it for years. Trying to set up a small shop but having problems developing plates for my Rotaprint SRA4 machine.

I'm exposing aluminium posi plates to UV light for 2 minutes using a professional unit with new bulbs. Longer than this seems to leak around the film though I'm using a vacuum unit. The plates seem to image well, they are green coating to start with turning blue when exposed. I'm using a general clear metasilicate developer solution but I find using a sponge the imaged area soon comes off too! If I just leave it to soak for a while the plate bubbles and yet just a quick wash doesn't seem to take anything off.

What am I doing wrong? As far as I remember I'm doing this right?

Thanks,

Peewee

You should use the proper developer for the plates you have. For screened images you may also want to calibrate the exposure time to obtain the correct raster percentage, use a stouffer wedge.

2 minutes is a long time. I do 10 seconds. Are plate developer broke so right now were cleaning by hand with no problems. We don't do very much printing anymore anyway.

Some wrong statements:

aluminium posi plates -> the imaged area soon comes off too!

If the imaged area goes OFF - this is correct as you use a positive plate :eek:
if the non imaged are is gone, means the text you like to print (when using pos-film & pos-plates) the developer is is not compatible with your plate
The coating at a positive plate is "damaged" by the UV-light. The non-exposed are is remaining after developing. Means that the removal of your text has nothing to do with exposure time - just wrong combination of plate & developer.

Visit a local graph-art dealer and ask for a proven combination form one of the major players

Cheers

Wieland

Positive plate

Positive plate

It seems you may faced 3 problems,
1- The new bulb too powerful.
2- The exposure time too long.
3- The developer too strong.
4- The contact film is not 100% black
suggestions:
a: expose one minute and do developing as did before.
b: dilute your developer with more water.
c: check film contrast with a densitometer.
Hope my suggestions helpful
farhad

Guys,

Thanks for comments - really helpful. The label on the box lead me to believe the plates were posh but as you guys guessed, they were negative so I had the wrong combination. So glad you can't se my blushing cheeks.

Thanks.

peewee

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back