PMS in a vector smart object

Topher

I have Illustrator files supplied by a customer. Placed within this Illustrator file, is a PSD which contains vector smart objects. Some of the elements within these smart objects need to be converted to a PMS color. But when I edit the smart object to the single PMS color, and update the PSD; the PMS color does not stick, and still shows as 4C. I cannot flatten the file, because there is a masked transparent section as well. Is it possible to tag a vector smart object with a PMS color? I am using AI and PS CC. Any help/words of wisdom is appreciated.

Unless things have changed in CC, spot colour in Photoshop is channel based, not object based.

You would have a spot channel, that would use vector masks. You would also have to create knockouts manually where required, as spot channels by their nature overprint.

You will also need to save into a format that plays nice with spot colours and Illustrator.

Have you tried making a copy of the original file and working on a copy that does not contain a smart object? Just link up the new asset to replace the old in a duped AI file.

Another option could be to use one or more unused CMYK channels to hold the spot colour data, rather than messing with spots. You could then use a PDF tool such as PitStop Pro or Prinergy to remap to spots, then combine back into the original AI file. This could also be done in Illustrator with the Astutegraphics InkQuest plug.

EDIT: One can merge to a single layer and retain transparency.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Where was the smart object created? Your description sounds like an Illustrator file inside a Photoshop file inside an Illustrator file. Is that correct?

Can you extract the smart objects to Illustrator and place the rest of the psd into Illustrator separately, can you then build the Layers & transparencies in Illustrator.

Congratulations you've found the massive achilles heel in Photoshop when used for print production!

Can you extract the smart objects to Illustrator and place the rest of the psd into Illustrator separately, can you then build the Layers & transparencies in Illustrator.

This is the only realistic work around. Can also be rebuilt with InDesign...

This is the only realistic work around. Can also be rebuilt with InDesign...

I would prefer to see the file, it is really hard to know from the description how complex the issue is or what would be a realistic way to move forward.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back