Polyester Paper and Static

pacart

Does anyone have any tips on printing polyester paper in their digital press. We have a KM6501 and a customer brought us this Xerox 3r12365 polyester paper. The specs say to simplex only, which we are, but we are having a huge static issue. Currently we are wiping each sheet down with a dryer sheet, it sorta helps, but not completely as we need to manually duplex them, jog them and run them back through for the other side.

Also as they come out into the stacker they are sticking in various places because of the static and creating quite the mess - we are also getting doubles because of the static.

Any tips would be helpful, Thanks.

We've been struggling with synthetic stock on the 6501, 6000, 7000 & 1070 machines with little success. We've even gone as far as inserting a humidifier in the de-curler unit (after the fuser). I think it's just the nature of the beast because the paper needs to get charged as it passes through the ADU.

Have you tried stringing static discharge garland so it comes in contact with the sheet when it exits to the output tray?

-MailGuru

One of my KM customers who runs synthetic stock tells me that the humidifier (in the relay unit) is essential, and substantially relieved their static electricity concerns. This is on a C8000.

One of my KM customers who runs synthetic stock tells me that the humidifier (in the relay unit) is essential, and substantially relieved their static electricity concerns. This is on a C8000.

If I'm not mistaken the humidifier is for low grammage paper ie 60gsm below. If the paper exceeded 60gsm the humidifier will not take effect. That is what my local KM tech told me.

Not true. That doesn't even make sense. The C1070 is rated to handle stocks from 62-300gsm.

With the C6000/C7000/C1060/C1070, the HM-102 humidifier is rated to handle papers from 64-300gsm. For certain paper types, the range starts at 135gsm.

There are other countermeasures to static cling - for example, 2nd transfer output adjustment (at some risk to print quality); and output paper separation setting. Consult your KM tech for more info.

Not true. That doesn't even make sense. The C1070 is rated to handle stocks from 62-300gsm.

With the C6000/C7000/C1060/C1070, the HM-102 humidifier is rated to handle papers from 64-300gsm. For certain paper types, the range starts at 135gsm.

There are other countermeasures to static cling - for example, 2nd transfer output adjustment (at some risk to print quality); and output paper separation setting. Consult your KM tech for more info.

Thank you SteveO. Will definitely check with them.

I highly doubt the static is caused by lack of humidification. Think for a moment how xerographic prints are made. What causes the image to transfer from the Image Transfer belt to the sheet? An electric charge... therefore you are putting a charge into a synthetic sheet causing static. You need to dissipate that charge through a ground to reduce or eliminate it. MailGuru is correct with static tinsel or static string. I doubt any manufacture is willing to allow you to install a shock-less high voltage static elimination system in the machine though it may be a good idea.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back