Polyester plate printers for AB Dick

Louiscamp

We are all digital shop adding a small AB Dick to print envelopes. Seller said a HP 5100 would make the plates for the press. We have a Konica Minota C7000 Printer that handles up to 13" x 18" media. Would the C7000 be able to make the plates? Or should we stick with the HP 5100.

Thanks!

Lou

Hi. HP 5100 is a most popular unit to do this. We had used this set-up for years. I had tried to experiment with few different devices with no success. So the answer lays in experiment - take a plate, set your machine for monocolor printing on heaviest stock possible, run the plate and try print off it - see if it lasts on the press. If you go for HP5100 - keep in mind that printer must be kept in pristine condition - your fuser must be new-not just visually good, cartridge must be OEM, transfer roller new as well. Good plate making life expectancy is about 40% off promised life cycle of mentioned components which is about couple thousands plates, which is reasonable.
If you know good copier tech - he should be able rebuilt your fuser to the perfection and replace transfer roller as well - its simple.
OEM cartridge - Ebay is a good source, just don't get yourself fooled - make sure you buy OEM.
At the beginning please be prepared to spoil several plates before everything is set.
Start with PS driver - it is must, PCL will not work, not in my experience at least.
Set is to print in highest quality on thick cardstock in "Printing preferences" also in printers control panel set resolution to "Pro-res". You plate supplier will be able to give you more guidance - some of these guys are really good at what they do and really knowledgeable about how to set the printer right.
I, personally, liked a Xante Myriad plates and Hurst Graphics plates.
Busy some repositionable spray adhesive - for close registration jobs and longer runs it will come handy - kinda pain to set-up as you'd have to peel the plate off the cylinder completely adjust and put back on, but it will surely stretch less. Back off Water and Ink rollers pressure to presses min setting, If it tells you 3 to 5 mm strip, make it 3mm. You should be able to get near 10,000 impressions out of LineArt file and 4000 to 6000 out of plate with halftones.
If you have more questions - feel free to ask.
Good luck,
Roman.
PS - If you did not buy that HP5000 yet and decide to go for it, let me know - we also sell equipment and have 3 of these. I can install new fuser and transfer regardless of what inside to give the printer a fresh start.

$400. I think I have like a 10 or so plates left - will include them for you to experiment and I will optimize printer settings so all you have to do is install driver and configure your printing preferences.

Dear Lou,

I think you should stick with the HP 5100. I never saw better laser printer for poylester plates.

We used for many years HP Laserjet 4MV, but you won't be able to find it in the market in the last years, If you find a good printer in good condition, you should test it too.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back