PPML on a Fiery RIP to a Konica 8050...soon to be replaced by a Canon C7000

FasterMD

Just looking for info / real world feedback on how PPML files have been working on a Fiery RIP.

Specifically, I've been inputting PPML files to our Fiery and trying to output them to our Konica 8050.
I'm using FusionPro Desktop to create the PPML files without any warnings or errors.
I've been successfully outputting .jlt files from an HP Indigo long enough to have the process down to a science. PPML is a beast I've yet to get a handle on yet.

My problem is this:

When I output the PPML file all my images vanish, be they static or variable. My variable text is the only thing that shows up fine. Everything else is gone.

My next step is to call the FusionPro help line, but I'd like to hear from people in the real world first to get some feedback.

We'll be replacing our 8050 with a Canon C7000 within the next two weeks. I'm just trying to get set up and familiar with the PPML file format before everything is delivered.

Any input you all can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Re: PPML on a Fiery RIP to a Konica 8050...soon to be replaced by a Canon C

I personally use Printshop mail and use something called Creo APR on a Creo CXP8000 on a Xerox Docucolor 8000.
In May i had to go to Brussels to have a meeting with Canon to demotest their Canon C7000, As it wasnt a Creo rip so i had to use PPML, u got to remember to put the zip file into the hotfolder of the rip, thats why u didnt have any images etc etc, its in the zip, in the print dialog you have to check that you want to save a zip file. it should be on your desktop, then you put that zip file into the hotfolder of the RIP.
I hope this helps solve your problem?

Re: PPML on a Fiery RIP to a Konica 8050...soon to be replaced by a Canon C7000

FasterMD...

I'm currently re-evaluating our Fusion Pro implementation. I'm curious, have you found any particular RIP faster when dealing with 1000+ records compiling to a PDF as compared to a different format?

i believe your biggest problem is that you were trying to print to an 8050. we had two and they were both lemons. we got rid of them and put in 2 xerox 240's and have had no problems since.

Re: PPML on a Fiery RIP to a Konica 8050...soon to be replaced by a Canon C7000

Could you use free form to create a master. Then use the use Master setting when sending the variable data so only the variable data is sent but as its using the Master previously created the static information is sent.

I haven't used PPML but this is how I do variable text using the Merge feature of Corel Draw.

I assume you have a external Fiery?

Ken Graham

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back