Preflight in Acrobat 9 vs Preflight in Acrobat X - ICC?

Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem getting consistent results with preflight profiles done in Acrobat 9 and an identical profile in Acrobat X.

I need to determine whether or not a document contains ICC profiles.

So..

I made a test PDF file and I ran the file through the identical preflight checks in Acrobat X and in Acrobat 9, respectively.

Acrobat X finds the ICC profile. Acrobat 9 does not.

Are the ICC profile detection features between the two versions really that different?

good point

good point

You raise a good point. So caught up in all my testing... I might have missed the basics! I will get the file tested on a different machine with a known good installation of acrobat 9 on it after checking out those links. Thanks.

Are you running your files through Distiller first? I can't see why Acrobat 9 will not read the icc profile when it reads it in X. Try reinstalling Acrobat 9.0 as it sounds like the error is with that program.

I would agree that it sounds like something wrong in the Acrobat 9 installation.

But what does Distiller have to do with this?

Ok, I've run the testfile through two separate Adobe Acrobat 9 installations' preflight check, testing for presence of ICC.

The following custom checks and conditions were used on the Acrobat 9 preflight profile, and on the Acrobat 10 preflight profile. Acrobat 9 did not detect any of them. Acrobat 10 did.

Here are the details on the checks used (copied from preflight profile summary) :

Check:
ICC Present
Comment:
When it does not fire, report as: ICC Not Present
Analyze: Page contents
Severity: Error

Condition
Group: Colors
Property: Is ICC based color space
Operator: is true

Condition
Group: Output Intents for PDF/X
Property: Has ICC output profile

Condition
Group: Output intents for PDF/A

Condition
Group: Output intents for PDF/E

Condition
Group: Colors
Property: Uses ICCbased CMYK

Acrobat 9 says there is no ICC in the file.
Acrobat 10, with exactly the same file and exactly the same profile settings, says there is.

Then, when setting the Acrobat 9 version of the profile to check for ICC, i went to the Color section and set it to check for Device Independent Color.
Acrobat 9 then reported Device Independent Color as present in the file.
So did Acrobat 10.

Are the custom checks for this type of issue ignored in acrobat 9?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back