Prepress Seminars/Conventions/Expos: What's worth my time?

ZacGil

Hi All,

I'm new to prepress and the printing industry in general. I have a working knowledge of what's going on but am always interested in finding avenues to learn more. What are your thoughts and/or experiences on specific printing seminars/conventions/expos? Are there certain ones that are geared toward prepress? Which ones should I stay away from and which ones are worth my time?

Thank you!

I love hitting the Graph Expo every year in Chicago. but it's only a 3 hour drive for me, so I don't have travel costs.
it's always a great place to talk to some of the software techs face to face and see what's new and such. I don't generally hit the seminars, but if you're looking to learn some of the newest stuff, I've heard they are pretty good. Adobe and Quark don't go anymore, but all the other industry standard are usually there. I use it to research new tech and such for my shop. It can be a bit chaotic and exhausting though.
You can usually get free general admission passes from your vendors. I don't think I have paid for tickets in years.

If your looking to learn the apps i find lynda.com give you a lot of info for a little money

User group conventions for software or workflows you use (Like Esko World, EFI Connect etc) would be a good place to start. They are not specifically a place to LEARN the apps, but you have access to a large number of technical resources. Most have seminars etc that delve into specific uses of the platforms as well.

Thanks for the responses!

We are currently in the process of getting a new workflow, so I'm sure once we do, it will come with some hands-on training. I've been looking into the G7 Professional certification. Has anyone heard much about this? Color theory can be quite elusive and I've been trying to teach myself. Or are there other reliable resources out there that can educate on color, color curves, theory, or keeping color correct presses?

Thanks for the responses!

We are currently in the process of getting a new workflow, so I'm sure once we do, it will come with some hands-on training. I've been looking into the G7 Professional certification. Has anyone heard much about this? Color theory can be quite elusive and I've been trying to teach myself. Or are there other reliable resources out there that can educate on color, color curves, theory, or keeping color correct presses?

Try rummaging through my blog : The Print Guide

Lots of core info there.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back