Preps templates files - opening outside of Preps

RVNG

Would anyone know of a way to open Preps template files (.tpl) outside of Preps?

... illustrator, Distiller, Ghost View, etc?

Just need to view (maybe even measure) sheet layouts, trim sizes, positions, etc.

Thanks,
RG

Can't you make a PDF, PS, EPS etc from them? Or, import a blank PDF page into the template and then make a PDF of the impo?

Stephen Marsh

Our company is merging with another, because of this all our Prepress equipment & workflow software will be sold off ... I was looking for a way to access Preps template files (.tpl) when all our systems are gone.

The trouble is we have many reprints that occur on certain jobs (to which we have standing dielines for) that I will need match on the new system. If I could find a way to open .tpl files without Preps, I could see all the trim sizes, gutters, setback, and translate these settings to the new system.

So far I haven't been able to create EPS, PDF, or anything.

thanks,
Christian

Christian, sorry for not being clear - what I meant was to turn the template into a live job (perhaps by flowing in blank pages), then output to PDF, PS or whatever. You may not be able to send the template to file, however you should be able to use it in a job and then save that.

As Ray pointed out, depending on the new impo software that you will use, it may support import of Preps templates.

Stephen Marsh

Thanks Stephen, I see what you mean now. And thanks for that... but unfortunately we have several hundred, in not a few thousand jobs, I was hoping to 'access' the templates retroactively on a case-by-case basis after the software was gone. Well, looks like I have my work cut out for me.
Appreciate it,
RG

Preps templates are just a text file. They will open in any text edit app. ;)
The info inside them is not all that human friendly though...

I'm glad you posted this question, RVNG. I was looking for the same thing. I've found online documents of how to export Quark and Illustrator files TO Preps, but nothing on how to go back. We impose dozens of images on a single sheet, and when we need to adjust a template for sheet stretch, we move one image and one registration mark at a time. If I could take our existing templates into Illustrator, I could fan entire rows of images on the sheet all at once. It would save hours at press.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back