Printer for wedding invitation business

mdeck

Hi, I'm a complete newbie to the printing business and could use some advice. I'm setting up my own wedding invitation business, but I'm not sure what kind of machine to invest in. I need something that can do color digital printing on 110 lb cardstock, with duplex if possible. I'd probably only do about 5000-7000 pages a month, so it doesn't need to be industrial strength, but it does need to be at professional quality (same as if you went to a store and bought them). Any recommendations? Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

Thanks, mike.

In my honest opinion, at those quantities no machine will be really cost effective.

Instead of investing in a device, I would recommend partnering with a local service provider until you have built up enough volume to justify an outright purchase.

In my honest opinion, at those quantities no machine will be really cost effective.

Instead of investing in a device, I would recommend partnering with a local service provider until you have built up enough volume to justify an outright purchase.

You're not necessarily correct. Wedding stationery isn't like pay for print. The customer is ordering a high value product, so what really matters is your gross profit, not the number of sheets that pass through the machine.

You could look at a xerox 252/260, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to send out samples and cross your fingers and hope that when the customer orders 6 months later the printed item looks the same.

From what I've heard the km6501 might do the job. Everyone seems to say that it's happy printing textured cards and it appears to be highly rated for colour repeatability.

We're currently looking at the km c8000, which, if you were looking at our monthly copy count you'd think we were nuts... except our main business is wedding stationery.

I agree with overscan mostly. Where we part ways is the repeatability of color, EVERY digital device will have some issues. There are so many variables, front ends, environment (temp and humidity swings), drums, developer to keep it simple. Also calibrating using a spectrophotometer vs. off the glass will increase your odds at color repeatability.

Short and sweet I have the Oki c9300 and it works very well, toner, drums and the fuser
are very easy to get the are very inexpensive.
It is the same technology they use in the Ilumina.

Check Ebay for one

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I've heard a lot about the Oki and Xante Ilumina. I'm sure this is a naive question, but what is the quality difference between something like the Oki c9300 and km6501, since the difference in cost is 10x? Is it simply the ability to handle a much higher duty cycle? Can the Oki or Ilumina deliver professional grade quality, like invitations you'd find in retail stores?

Thanks all!

I agree with overscan mostly. Where we part ways is the repeatability of color, EVERY digital device will have some issues. There are so many variables, front ends, environment (temp and humidity swings), drums, developer to keep it simple. Also calibrating using a spectrophotometer vs. off the glass will increase your odds at color repeatability.

I can only go by my own experience with our recently departed 250, which was costing xerox so much money in service calls that they replaced it with a new 260. In all honesty, we found the 250 more capable of holding colour if we didn't calibrate (other than when we changed parts) and made all colour adjustments via the fiery. If we used our DTP32 to callibrate we stood no of matching anything. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's how it was and why I couldn't recommend the 252/260.... and don't even get me started on inboard/outboard variation!

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I've heard a lot about the Oki and Xante Ilumina. I'm sure this is a naive question, but what is the quality difference between something like the Oki c9300 and km6501, since the difference in cost is 10x? Is it simply the ability to handle a much higher duty cycle? Can the Oki or Ilumina deliver professional grade quality, like invitations you'd find in retail stores?

Thanks all!

The only way you can answer that is to send a few files and your own stock to a dealer and get some sample prints run off. Make sure that you don't just send them your prettiest and easiest to print stuff. You need also need samples of stuff that could be tricky to print. Gradients, greens, fine lines (angles and curves), small reversed text. Also, you're not just testing for the designs you print now but also for designs you might be printing in 2 or 3 years time.

Wedding stationery.. DON'T DO IT!

Matching pearlescent fabric swatches, hitting the same colour over a period of months due to the ongoing design of invites, RSVPs, table cards and thankyou cards.

And is nearly always needed on a very tight turn around. On very special, expensive paper that's difficult to print on (bad transfer, lots of curl!).

Wedding stationery is the worst thing to get involved with in printing, you'll have a nervous breakdown quick sharp

Wedding stationery.. DON'T DO IT!

Matching pearlescent fabric swatches, hitting the same colour over a period of months due to the ongoing design of invites, RSVPs, table cards and thankyou cards.

And is nearly always needed on a very tight turn around. On very special, expensive paper that's difficult to print on (bad transfer, lots of curl!).

Wedding stationery is the worst thing to get involved with in printing, you'll have a nervous breakdown quick sharp

Consistent colour is an issue. The other stuff doesn't need to be a problem if you're just producing your own designs as you would design your ranges taking into account the limitations of your kit.

Bespoke stuff is a whole different ball game and personally I would avoid it.

Just don't print on paper you know won't work on your equipment. Many times I tell the bride no can do on their supplied stock, but I offer a work around on a stock we have. Most of the time it's not a problem.

Overscan.... sometimes you just have to throw your hands up on why things just don't make sence. Sounds like a headache of a time you had!

Find the worst job out there, the one no one else wants to do, and become the best at doing it. You'll never want for work or money again.

Sounds like custom/bespoke wedding stationary fits the bill.

Mark H

Do you plan on getting into doing envelopes to go with the inviations? If so going with an OKI or Xante may be better for you. Typical invitations we do in house typically dont have much printing and the printing it does have is usually color. Now these are for more formal and most often many customers want to save money so they pick bw. Now if you are getting into full color, full bleed you will want something with a low click count and my understanding this type of printing is not great on the OKI/Xante as the more printing the higher the ink costs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back