Printing in USA at China prices.

I'm printing a magazine next month, and I would love to print in the USA or Canada, but the quotes I got from China are so much cheaper.
I can get 2,500 magazines for $3,000 or 6,000 magazines for $6,000 ($1 each) shipped to NYC. (specs below)
Are there any printers in the USA or Canada that can match these kind of prices?

Specs:
NUMBER OF PAGES: 96 page text + 4 page cover
SIZE: opened: 16.7500 x 10.8750 finished: 8.3750 x 10.8750
PRINTING: Text: 4 / 4 (process)
PAPER: Text: 60# Coated Gloss #3
Cover: 4 + UV / 4 (process)
Cover: 8 pt C2S
BINDERY: Perfect binding

Yeah, you are right. Printing in China is more cheaper. Not only because the raw materials is cheaper, but also the labor cost for printing is less.

Maybe you can try to contact us for printing next time. We are the most professional printing factory in China. And we have many customers in NYC. And we will ship 30,000 copies sketchbooks to NYC next month. Paperback book, hardcover book, board book, magazine, notebook and text book are all our advantage product.

I'm printing a magazine next month, and I would love to print in the USA or Canada, but the quotes I got from China are so much cheaper.
I can get 2,500 magazines for $3,000 or 6,000 magazines for $6,000 ($1 each) shipped to NYC. (specs below)
Are there any printers in the USA or Canada that can match these kind of prices?

Specs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to know that, i am trying to learn more from here, sometimes you can get some fresh ideas from the posts. Two days before, i am considering ask help about die-cut and print questions, and I googled and ask many for help. Next time, I can post here.

If you want the best quality and safety of product, the United States would be the best option rather than China. Cheap is just that, CHEAP. Keep out of the Walmart fellas. D

Specs:

You are approaching this in the way that I prefer my customers approach problems like this: get a quote to match and then see if someone can "reverse engineer" a price for you.

You see, there is a lot of uncertainty in pricing, not to mention the uncertainties in the production area.

Some people will come in with an "idea" and that's it. These people usually are (prudently) given a high price because the printer has no experience with them and truly doesn't want to get burned by a dissatisfied customer refusing to pay, for instance.

Going outside the loop to China sets up the equation differently: the vendor will know that it might be a one-shot, but if the money hits the bank, the order is good to work on. The vendor's risk of a refusal has now been taken out of the equation, and that is worth a lot.

Notice the difference in transaction style: payment up front versus the usual U.S. approach of "let's work out terms".

Cash is king.

If you "walk in" to any web printer in NYC and haggle this out, you should be able to get this price or possibly even better... if you want to pay on the same terms and take the same risks as you would with a Chinese offer.

I mean it. The shop I work for could not produce this job effectively at this price (with our present equipt configuration), but a shop specializing in wide web publication work could. (I have a very good idea of the costs to a web shop.) You just have to come in with the right proposal.

The big thing in any intelligently run shop is to keep the presses running with work that is profitable... and the cost of shipping a ton or two of magazines from China is certainly what a low margin profit could be for the job, even compensating for lower wages. (And don't forget import duties and customs fees.)

Face to face is still the best way to buy printing. You just have to negotiate (rather than take the price or deal that is offered) and that will also mean that you must understand the vendors' point of view. This is very uncomfortable for most Americans... we are reared NOT to haggle.

This, incidentally, is what I believe is a big source of failure of North American commerce: the American (and Canadian) prejudice against haggling cripples the supply system against inundation by foreign suppliers who understand the important of price fluidity. (A list price is worth nothing unless the goods can be sold in sufficient volume at that price.)

If you want the best quality and safety of product, the United States would be the best option rather than China. Cheap is just that, CHEAP. Keep out of the Walmart fellas. D

That's a very broad and unfounded characterization. There any many printers in China and in SE Asia that run circles around your typical US printers in terms of quality presswork.

Gordo

That's a very broad and unfounded characterization. There any many printers in China and in SE Asia that run circles around your typical US printers in terms of quality presswork.

Gordo

Gordo, the week before my xmas vacation, I had three instances of pressmen stopping runs because of typos, plus another because of roll-fold panels that didn't line up. Not being racist, but Chinese to English translations never worked very well. Just read a Chinese menu ;)

Don't know about checking panels lining up, but look at all those bad Chinese tattoos that have be translated horribly wrong:

34 Ridiculous Chinese Character Tattoos Translated

Gordo

Gordo,

Go to Walmart then and let them slap a happy smile sticker on you :) and go on a buying spree.

It is the CHEAP that is eroding the econimic fabric of the USA via improperly tariffed goods, not just printing goods. Unemployment, factory shut downs and the shrinking of the middle class are all examples of the end result

Fortunately, the economy is starting it's slow recovery back to some semblance of normality. Things will keep improving also into 2014, you shall see.

My previous reply did state quality, safety and cheap. In response to you about quality, I am sure there are a small minority of print facilities in China that can produce higher quality than some US shops. But overall, the US has better QUALITY versus the quality of printing coming from most Chinese institutions. Further, this is true for all consumer goods comparatively between the two countries.

I don't know how it is in your province where you galavant, but you do make some darn good maple syrup.

Oh, and after your finished with your Walmart shopping spree, please don't forget to hold on to your receipts. Most like you'll be taking half the stuff back because it fell apart or never worked at all. Got the point friend? Good

D Ink Man

Dear D.I.M. You’ve gone off on a tangent. I only posted regarding your broad, negative, characterization about Chinese presswork as it is quite untrue. As in the U.S. “quality” is determined by the customer - not the supplier. The “quality” of the presswork that the customer receives is the quality that they define and accept at the price that they are willing to pay.

The issue of cheap goods, Walmart, and buying local vs foreign made is, IMHO, a different matter. Perhaps a topic for "The Lounge"?

“If the other fellow sells cheaper than you, it is called dumping. 'Course, if you sell cheaper than him, that's mass production." - Will Rogers

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." - John Ruskin

gordo

PS The province in which I "galavant" is host to many Hollywood productions because it is cheaper for them to film here than in the U.S. - and the viewing audience doesn’t care. Do you boycott Hollywood movies that were filmed in foreign countries in order to save production costs and increase profit margins?
E.g. a (very) few of the Hollywood North filmed features:
Rumble in the Bronx
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Watchmen
The Chronicles of Riddick
Tron Legacy
Mission Impossible 4 - Ghost Protocol
Sucker Punch
Final Destination 5
X-Men
Insomnia
Man of Steel

(Post keyboarded on my made in China iPad Air)

Last edited:
G,

I am not on a tangent, but you are close. I am on TARGET.
All you have to do is change one consonant and drop one vowel and Bingo, you got it.

As far as negativity, the US has expotentially more quality goods vs. Chin, whether it is printing or pudding. I don't believe there will be much argument with that from the world and planet. So that is not a negative, but rather a truism.

Those movies you named; how many of those were Oscar Academy Award winners? Truly, I don't know, just curious.

Keep shooting dem in your province friend. More power to you.

D

@D Ink Man:
Are you having issues with competing against Chinese ink and/or ink component suppliers?

FL

(Post keyboarded on my made in China iPad Air)

I gave my SO one for xmas. Solid stuff, but don't belittle the product. Let's not kid ourselves. Parts are made in Taiwan, assembled in China by 8yr old children but the guts were developed in Copernico, CA. USA! USA!!

Everything aside, this POS melted my pocket but am happy to see my 10 year old daughter show her mom how to do Facetime. Amazing how far technology has come.

@D Ink Man:
Are you having issues with competing against Chinese ink and/or ink component suppliers?

FL

No not at all. The Chinese offer no competition whatsoever today or will so in the future. The organization I work with does not mass produce their products. They are highly specialized entities that cannot be duplicated by the best technologies the Chin may have and additionally, there is no child laborers in our manufacturing. Our profits per unit are not something that would interest that region. Our products are SAFE, EXTREMELY HIGH QUALITY, and PRICED HIGH BUT FAIRLY, because we do not need to get into competition with CHEAP, MASSIVE QUANTITY, and UNSAFE products with any entity globally. We are true Capitalists FL.

It was only thirty years ago I was being told American printers were ruining the magazine business by producing them on web presses instead of sheetfed machines. Americans were said to not care about quality printing in the magazine field and if we didn't change our evil ways immediately, the price structure of magazine printing would collapse. In Europe.
Every countries printing industry needs to concentrate on their strengths and compensate for their weaknesses, or wither away.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back