PRISM cutters?

ericmadsen

I'm considering adding a 31"-ish gear driven cutter, and Colter-Peterson's PRISM unit appears to undercut comparably specified Polar and Perfecta units on cost.

PRISM cutters don't seem to have seen much discussion here over the years. Might anyone have experience, good or bad, to share?

We have one at work. It's definitely a step or two below a Challenge or Polar. It feels cheap, the membrane control pad is spongey but, it works. It's an adequate general use cutter. Ours is always out by .04 inches even after a calibration.

Ours is always out by .04 inches even after a calibration.
That's poor, I guess as you have other stack cutters you've learned to live with it for occasional jobs you'd rather not put on your best machine, like chopping greyboard that quickly blunts the blade and self adhesive substrates that leave residue on the back of the blade.

In shops like ours, with just the one stack cutter (due to space constraints), it is paramount to rely on it being accurate without having to calculate compensating adjustments.

That's poor, I guess as you have other stack cutters you've learned to live with it for occasional jobs you'd rather not put on your best machine, like chopping greyboard that quickly blunts the blade and self adhesive substrates that leave residue on the back of the blade.

In shops like ours, with just the one stack cutter (due to space constraints), it is paramount to rely on it being accurate without having to calculate compensating adjustments.
We're a book printer. We have two stack cutters as well as a 3 knife trimmer. Most of our cutting is not to finished size. We use the Prism for cutting book blocks for the perfect binder, cutting covers to be to make cases and, cutting greyboard for cases. If we were a commercial shop or only had a single stack cutter this would not be my choice.
IMHO quality wise it's better than an Ideal/Triumph/Morgana and below the Polar/Challenge/Wohlenberg cutters.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back