Problem saving InDesign files to a server

cseas

hi folks,

we're having an issue when saving an ID file to a server on the network. we get an error,

"Cannot save "Untitled-1" under a new name.
The file "DBTmp2498-837082990" is damaged (Error code: 0)."

but we can save to local drive.

we are also not being able to open ID files from the server. getting a "may not have permission" or "file may be open already."

working fine before. problem just started.
anyone encounter this? similar problems in Photoshop when saving to server.

thanks
cesar

hi folks,

we're having an issue when saving an ID file to a server on the network. we get an error,

"Cannot save "Untitled-1" under a new name.
The file "DBTmp2498-837082990" is damaged (Error code: 0)."

but we can save to local drive.

we are also not being able to open ID files from the server. getting a "may not have permission" or "file may be open already."

working fine before. problem just started.
anyone encounter this? similar problems in Photoshop when saving to server.

thanks
cesar

We were having these same problems and it's been a few months AND NOW I am having these problems again.
Can't save Indesign file to the server, so I save it to the desktop, quit indesign, then drag that file into the server then it lets your overwrite.
Something is really wrong with Indesign; I am getting READ-ONLY Indesign files until I go to the server and check that file/folder GET INFO and make sure everyone can READ and WRITE.
When this first started happening, we had to put the macs in the shop because they started having permissions problems.
Try running Disk Utility and verify permissions and repair permissions then restart. Don't try to REPAIR disk without your original software disk.

That's all I have figured out so far, but it's really causing delays and pissing me off badly.

thanks for the info. i'll try the Disk Utility. one of our operators has been researching the problem online and their doesn't seem to be any light on the subject. Adobe points at Apple, Apple points at Adobe.

cesar

hi Erik,

problem seems to have just started, not more than 2mnths. we are accessing via AFP.
we are using InDesign 5, but also have CS6 installed. one of our operators is also having a similar problem in Photoshop CS5.
it will not allow him to save to the server. he has to save locally, and then copy to the server.
the server in question is a Mac server. we are running Nexus and just to experiment, we saved a file from ID to the Nexus server (PC) and it worked. (?)

thanks for any help you can advise,
cesar

Are you accessing your server via AFP or SMB? Try switching from one to the other. Also, you didn't mention what version of InDesign. Do you have more than one version, and if so, does it happen to all of them?

This thread may or may not shed some light.

http://printplanet.com/forums/adobe/21358-psd-recovery-software-plug-ins

-Erik

we are using afp and smb, there is a mixture of pc and mac up in here.
indesign cs6 btw
oh also if it helps, our "server" is not even a true server, its just a powermac so im thinking that would rule out it being a "server" issue.
my "color range" doesn't work anymore in photoshop cs6, i've made a post about this in the Adobe section of the forum. it stopped working after i did the last set of adobe updates so while you guys are on this thread if you have any answers let me know. thanks

Last edited:
cseas,

I'm no network guru, but if you can save to another server, to me, it kind of points to the Mac server. If it's happening to all versions of InDesign AND a version of Photoshop, I don't know that I'd suspect those apps either.

Anything been added/installed recently to the server?

-Erik

Last edited:
Visualaid,

Hard telling now that you say you're saving to a "non" server. But you ARE saving across a network. In my earlier reply's archive thread that I included, someone mentioned something about network speed and lag? Just thinking out loud now.

I'll wait for someone else chime in now. Hope you get it figured out.

-Erik

Visualaid,

Hard telling now that you say you're saving to a "non" server. But you ARE saving across a network. In my earlier reply's archive thread that I included, someone mentioned something about network speed and lag? Just thinking out loud now.

I'll wait for someone else chime in now. Hope you get it figured out.

-Erik

hmm network speed is a great possibility here, we are always having trouble with our network, how does one test the speed of your network? we've got crashplan constantly running as well, but we've had problems before i installed crashplan.

hi buckeye,

other than adding another backup drive to swap at the end of the day, using TimeMachine, we haven't added/installed anything to the drive. we have an older Mac running OS 10.5.8 and InDesign CS4 and are able to save to that Mac server. (the macs having trouble saving to that server are running OS 10.7.4 and ID CS5+CS6)
we've checked permissions and everything looks normal.

thanks for your help,
cesar

hmm network speed is a great possibility here, we are always having trouble with our network, how does one test the speed of your network? we've got crashplan constantly running as well, but we've had problems before i installed crashplan.

duh visualaid, use Activity Monitor to show network speed, also Network Utility is handy.

we have an older Mac running OS 10.5.8 and InDesign CS4 and are able to save to that Mac server. (the macs having trouble saving to that server are running OS 10.7.4 and ID CS5+CS6)

So you ARE able to save to the Mac server, just not from a computer running OS X Lion or CS5 or CS6.

So have you tried any of the Apple or Adobe forums for any leads?

-Erik

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back