profiling to SWOP

nickt

i don't have extensive experience with color profiling but i do know how to make a profile for a given machine/substrate..what i am curious about is how does one take an output device such as a inkjet(which has a wider gamut than SWOP) and match it to swap standards?

Edited by: nick trin on Jul 17, 2008 2:28 AM

Re: profiling to SWOP

You need two profiles. A SWOP profile will serve as your source profile - a custom profile of the inkjet will serve as the destination. You instruct your RIP to convert the file from the colorspace of the source profile to the colorspace of the destination.

You might also, if your RIP supports it, use 3 profiles. In this situation your original file will have some profile associated with it (profile X). Profile X will act as your source profile, the custom profile for your inkjet will be your destination profile, and the SWOP profile will be your simulation profile. You will instruct your RIP to convert from Profile X to the custom profile of the inkjet while +simulating+ output on a SWOP compliant device.

This can be done at either the application level when printing or at the printer's Rip (if applicable) with the file "simulating" the SWOP profile within the gamut of the printer profile. How you do it would be specific to your workflow.

thanks for the info, but how would i make the custom profile of the inkjet that you mention in your response?

After ink-limiting and calibrating/linearizing your inkjet you'd print out a profiling target with no color management applied. (without a RIP this can range from "sucking" to impossible)

Read the color patches on the print with a spectrophotometer.

Use that measurement data in a profiling application to build the profile.

that is currently how i make a profile but the gamut is far beyond what a swop proof would typically look...

>that is currently how i make a profile but the gamut is far beyond what a swop proof would typically look...

That's a good thing, allowing you to simulate the SWOP profile without clipping. Again this can be done via converting from the SWOP profile to that of your custom printer, or from a given source profile to your custom printer profile, simulating the SWOP profile. Are you using a Rip?

This can be done at either the application level when printing or at the printer's Rip (if applicable) with the file "simulating" the SWOP profile within the gamut of the printer profile. How you do it would be specific to your workflow.

so that would mean i would have to make targets that conform to SWOP standards, and then print those on our inkjets..am i correct?

Use Existing IDEAlliance ICC Profiles

Use Existing IDEAlliance ICC Profiles

so that would mean i would have to make targets that conform to SWOP standards, and then print those on our inkjets..am i correct?
You don't need to make a profile of SWOP printing conditions, that is available.
<http://www.idealliance.org/swop/>
Scoll to the bottom where "Downloads" are listed.

Some RIPs don't use ICC profiles, but you can import the text data into the format your RIP uses. That data is available in the download with the ICC profiles.
GRACoL profiles and data are also available.

Chasd.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back