Proofing and theft

auchprinting

I have several customers who have stolen my files to have someone else print.

We always make PDF low res Proofs to email to customers. We go through the cycle of a few Proofs, and print when OK,

On several occasions, the customer will take my Proof file, and have the job printed by someone else.

Is there a Proofing format that would protect me?

If you make a raster PDF, the customer can still print it, though the text quality will be lower. If you watermark it, a savvy user could remove the layer and have an unmarked document. But if you watermark the PDF and then rasterize it, you've really locked it down.

Greg

auchprinting, do you use a Workflow software system such as Kodak Prinergy? Prinergy has the add on InSite PrePress Portal system, that includes SmartReview client software which overcomes this whole issue - as it streams on demand the pixels required for the current monitor zoom and pan. The client never receives a PDF file in the first place and they always view the final high resolution files held on your system.

With only Adobe tools, I used to convert a PDF to low resolution and also colour convert all spots to CMYK and then convert the whole document to sRGB in order to make the content as "useless" as possible. For some customers I would also just convert the whole PDF to raster.

Stephen Marsh

Acrobat Pros security protection is pretty tight - not only can you password protect it you can set the resolution and editing capabilites for the customer.. afterall its just for viewing content? Screen shot 2012-02-23 at 8.19.14 AM.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 160
As amybest222 suggested, you can make use of Acrobat's security. You could also look into Remote Director. They've revamped the interface and costs.

Last edited:
Acrobat Pros security protection is pretty tight - not only can you password protect it you can set the resolution and editing capabilites for the customer.. afterall its just for viewing content? View attachment 2483

that does not always work. I find with a locked PDF or password restricted PDF can always be unlocked with a PDF unlocker tool.

that does not always work. I find with a locked PDF or password restricted PDF can always be unlocked with a PDF unlocker tool.
Just like with car theft, no security system will stop the best thief but it will deter 90% of those who would try.

Yes, you can add watermarks, passwords, provide online review, etc but opportunists will work their way around those hurdles. Instead, take these two simple steps -

1. Call and ask them why they took your design and had it printed elsewhere; it's important for you to understand why this is happening, especially since it has happened "on several occasions". Thank them for their business and let them know a bill for the design work will follow.

2. Send them a bill for the design work and mark it Due On Receipt. The design is your copyrighted work and this does not fall within fair use.

After that, take whatever action you would normally take against a deficient invoice.

Mark H

Just like with car theft, no security system will stop the best thief but it will deter 90% of those who would try.

Correct, If I get a locked pdf, I stop and return it to the customer to resolve, I will not proceed. I could "crack it" but why, could open us up to any number of issues that I don't need/want.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back