PS fonts on Mac

pajdzn

Lately I have noticed that a lot of PS fonts won't load on my Mac. Here are some details about the machine I am using:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

I can't get the fonts to load by any means. Any ideas why?

Thanks in advance.

Have the fonts that are giving you problems been stored or transferred on a non-Mac disk or through email or FTP?

Mac Postscript fonts store their font information in the resource fork of the file. If the font has been copied through a windows disk, or method that doesn't understand what a resource fork is, and protect it during the transfer, it will damage the font and make it useless.

In the Finder, get info on one of the fonts in question. If it shows up as a "unix executable" file or it has s total size of 0k then it has lost it's resource fork and you'll need to find another copy of that font.

Windows TrueType fonts and newer Mac font formats (Opentype, dFont) store their info in the data fork of the file, so these files can be transferred without any problems.

Shawn

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back