QM46 Dampening Adjustment issue

dagoof

I've got a QM46-2 and have been having problems with the PU1 damp unit since day one - I've got all the nips for the distribution, metering & form rollers at 2mm. However, in the manual there's an adjustment screw (page 159, section 4.4, diagram 9, screw #2) for the damp roller at the top - problem is, I don't seem to have an adjustment screw, instead there's a spring-loaded pin with a circlip on top.

Has anyone seem this before, or is it perhaps a modification? I can't adjust the nip through this, and it seems to be set at 4-5mm.

I've attached a pic of this if it helps? Does anyone else have this circlip pin setup?

A related issue I'm having, when I ink up the dampening system the ink is being stripped off the metering roller which is leaving me with too much water.

Attachments

• IMAG0463.jpg
    IMAG0463.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 288
Thanks Cmac, we tried that but didn't get the adjustment required, not sure if there's a specific sequence the nips should be adjusted in (presuming one impacts the other).

The manual's diagram (attached) doesn't seem to match our system - is our system modified? Or is the manual perhaps for a newer version (our is a 1997 QM)? If so, could anyone help me out and confirm what all the nip measurements should be on this system?

Also, the nip between the form roller & plate states 3mm but, again, presuming this is for metal plates (states 0.15mm) - we're using Presstek poly plates (8 mil.), how should we adjust for this?

Attachments

• IMAG0466.jpg
    IMAG0466.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
You may already know this, but #3 in that diagram is only the lock for the adjustment that is actually made by turning the eccentric that #3 impinges on. No wrench head is shown for that eccentric. That's a poor diagram.

Al

send me email I have diagram I can send [email protected] Also plate thickness doesnt matter its still 3mm stripe. You must drop dampner hand crank press around let sit 10 sec. lift dampner then look at stripe.If you just drop damp and lift off and then look at stripe it will not be set correct.

That damp unit was used for a short time and I believe there is no adj for the damp dist to form roller. I am supprised that you would have a 5mm stripe, usually the issue is little to no stripe. The damp dist roller shaft is flat on 3 sides & round on the 4th, the 4th side should be up. I would check the dia of the form roller (63mm) If you like give me a call.
Stan Intermountain Press Service,llc. 720-285-9485 ipsqm46.com
I do have numerous new & used parts avail for your QM46-2

The older model QM46 only uses the spring as a self adjustment. There must be serial numbers out there that allow you to adjust that. I am guessing it is the very first machines and then they upgraded it with the springs. That press went through a lot of modifications before it finally became the printmaster. Even ordering rollers for that machine is based on serial number and even with the correct sn the rollers sent to you might not be the correct ones.

That's quite possible RGPW - it'd had a complete roller replacement (by an indy dealer) before I bought it, so who knows if they got it right. I also had the form roller on PU1 replaced but this was a used roller from another machine (all we could get a short notice), so that's another anomaly.

One of the main problems I'm having is the water pan roller on PU1 is constantly getting stripped of ink - obviously this results in too much water and eventually emulsification. Anything I can try to remedy that?

when adjusting the dampening rollers, did you set the metering spindle to 6? My manual is different from yours as I don't seem to have a section 4.4, or page numbers

All water rollers in a quick master carry ink. It is similar to a crestline but built a lot better.

If your rollers are stripping are you running metal or poly plates? How old is the rubber in the water system? Not just the form but the other rollers as well. Ever do a calcium rinse? If you dont have a calcium rinse you can make a cheap one with about 20 percent white vinegar and 80 percent water. When you are done washing your press follow up with water or fountain solution to help remove press wash residue.

Regards, Alois[/QUOTE]

Thanks RGPW - the rubber is about 4 years old. I know it eventually breaks down but it's done less than 1 million impressions and still looks good, no glaze etc. I haven't done a calcium rinse - the water where we are is very soft and clean so doesn't really cause many of the problems you see in other countries, but I will try that none the less.

It's Presstek poly plates I'm running btw.

calcium is from the paper not the water. Longer runs of uncoated stock tend to cause more problems then coated. I am guessing four years is about as much as you can ask for. My rollers were 5 years when I replaced them and one ink roller would not even stripe. If all your stripes are good and you have good seals ( I think that is what they are called. The removable ones on each side of the water form roller) I would think about getting new rubber. Try the calcium rinse first and see if that helps.

If you buy that roller off the shelf you may have to get the outer shell and rebuild the core with the roller you have. It is a pain. If you need a syntax roller number for that water roller let me know and I will look at the box and post it when I get a chance

I really think the rollers are ok for now (had glazed & fatigued rollers on my old Ryobi, so know what they look like!), however, am still going to to a vinegar wash as suggested (will see how that water pan roller pans out, if you'll pardon the pun). Put a new blanket on and that's helped too. It's all coated stock btw.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back