QuarkXPress 10

MacTwidget

Has anybody taken the plunge yet?
Have any of your customers supplied files from QXP 10?
I know that I should purchase at least one copy, but I can count on my fingers how many QXP 9 files I've received since it was released 2.5 years ago.
I have 12 users using Adobe Creative Suite, everyday! When QXP 9 was released, I purchased 3 upgrades. I still have one copy that I have not installed!

I know that I should purchase at least one copy, but I can count on my fingers how many QXP 9 files I've received since it was released 2.5 years ago.
I have 12 users using Adobe Creative Suite, everyday! When QXP 9 was released, I purchased 3 upgrades. I still have one copy that I have not installed!

------
It will not install under 10.6.8
so - I installed MT Lion and my machine is now hosed.
I am getting a new SSD to put Snow Leopard on to rebuild my machine.
So ... I have Quark 10 for the MAC and have not, and will not, installed.
(maybe I will put it on the Mt Lion drive that I will not be using)
-
I have it on a PC with Windows 7 - and have played around with it - but - have never used it fir a product job.

MSD

We have not had anyone bring in a Quark file in over 4 years, maybe more then that. The only time we open Quark is when a client comes with an old job to reprint. At that point we reset in Indesign and go about business as normal. I stopped upgrading Quark at V8.5.

We have not had anyone bring in a Quark file in over 4 years, maybe more then that. The only time we open Quark is when a client comes with an old job to reprint. At that point we reset in Indesign and go about business as normal. I stopped upgrading Quark at V8.5.

I stopped at 8.02 and have only needed it maybe 3-4 times in the last 3-4 years . . . rather than update I'll get the Quark to Indesign plugin :)

One of our typesetters, who happens to be my mother, knows Quark and doesn't want to use ID. Everyone else has moved to ID, which seems to have fewer quirks.

I haven't found Quark 10s flaws, but every previous version after 6 seems to have a major problem. Version 7 wouldn't output spot colors properly and 8 wouldn't print TIFF files to our RIP. Then 9 had problems with PDS not printing properly, though ID printed them just fine.

Last edited:
Hi kdw75,

Would you mind explaining in what way Q9 did not print PSDs properly? Is it that it did not support adjustment layers in PSDs? I use Q8.12 and have that problem.My workaround is to merge visible layers before saving the PSD, saving it as FilenameM.PSD.Then they print fine, and I still have the one with the adjustment layers as Filename.PSD for further editing.

Al

Hi kdw75,

Would you mind explaining in what way Q9 did not print PSDs properly? Is it that it did not support adjustment layers in PSDs? I use Q8.12 and have that problem.My workaround is to merge visible layers before saving the PSD, saving it as FilenameM.PSD.Then they print fine, and I still have the one with the adjustment layers as Filename.PSD for further editing.

Al

I made a typo. I meant PDFs. We would have random problems with PDFs having problems of all kinds.

I did some testing for our clients with Quark 10.
My verdict: if you want to spend money being an alpha-tester, go ahead.
The next patch might even update it to beta status!
If you need to use Quark for professional print work, stick with whatever Quark version you have already.

PDF import and export problems by the dozen, transparency failures left and right, slow as molasses even after the 10.0.1 update ... the list goes on and on.

I was seriously hoping that Quark Xpress could be a real contender to InDesign, but so far 10 has been a giant disappointment. :mad:

Quark pdf problems

Quark pdf problems

I am a 20 year Quark XPress user going back to v3.

I was the first one to sing it's praises & denigrate InDesign.

Then Quark decided to turn XPress into a, ebook/app maker & betrayed it's print customers with v9 that was riddled w/ annoying bugs.

When Q10 was announced as a major rebuild, I ordered in advance of its release.
I loved the new features!

BUT I soon found out that it was not able to consistently produce printshop usable pdfs.
Since Sept I've installed every upgrade. I've had my productivity severely impacted by time-consuming work arounds. And I've spent many, many hours using online chat & on the phone with customer support.

The priority level of my support ticket was labeled MINOR, and no solution has been offered other than work arounds.

I give up! This is clearly a beta release. This product should be taken off the market until it can be fixed and my money should be refunded.

I am in the process of researching the possibility of a class action lawsuit. There must be many thousands of other ex-users who were also ripped off for $279.20 and had there business income severely impacted. Gather up your documentation & let's band together!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back