Questions ??? for KM C6501

FatMedia

Hello,

From the start, I want to tell you that I am from Romania and I've used till now only Xerox machines (DC12/DC250).

Most of my works are commercial prints on 120gsm/160gsm/200gsm/300gsm.

From 2009, I've decided to go with KonicaMinolta (C6501).

Why ?

Running costs for a Xerox is bigger that the one for a KM. In fullservice, the price per click at Xerox is bigger than at KM; and in Romania,the clients are much more interested in the price of the print , rather than in extreme quality. In my 5 years of experience, only max. 10-20 percent of the customers were interested in extreme quality.

In my opinion, Xerox has a better quality, but the price matters. I'm losing customers that go to the ones with KonicaMinolta that have a lower price.

But enough with the comparisons, I think I've make my decision, I hope it's a good one, to buy a KM C6501.

These are my questions:

1. Does it matter so much regarding quality of print if you have RIP ... IC 408(EFI internal) ... IC 303 EFi ... IC 304 CREO ? I was thinking seriously to go with an IC 408 EFI Internal, because also the DC 250 had an internally RIP and i was very pleased with the quality. What is your opinion ?

2. A question ? Why small office equipments from KM can print BANNER ( up to 297mmx1200mm) and the most expensive machine from KM (BizHub PRo C 6501) cannot do that ? I consider very useful this feature. You have a 297x1200 (160gsm max) format from which you can do a variety of works, that can only be done on offset printers with a big format (50x70). It's intriguing that a C6501 cannot do that; or it does and i don't know ?

3. If i want to print B&W, i can use this machine, or i must buy a B&W ? I'm asking this because on Xerox 250 was not effective to print b&w on a color machine (regarding the price and technically speaking even if it has a separate cylinder for black) . It was reccomended to print on a B&W, rather than a color. I don't do many b&w prints, but lets suppose that some customers will ask for that; for example, a work that implies a 10000 A4 prints (B&w) with different inserts on every page. What do you think ? ... will be effective for a C6501 ? (financially and technically) ?

THX

Last edited:
I can run black and white on my 6500 all day and it will not hurt financially. I don't think you'll have a problem with B&W

On any given day on any job with the current generation of engines one will print some aspects of the job better than the other. Get a sample print of the same file of each and one machine will print one part better than the other.

The quality difference between an ic-408 and 303/305 is virtually nil as the have the same output profiles and video board. The difference comes down to performance and crunching numbers. Also some features are not available on the 408 such as compose. If you are printing pretty basic stuff that doesn't require too much processing power then the 408 should be fine.

I'm not sure why they don't have banner print. I guess it is because they expected most people to have a paper feed unit which doesn't fit that size paper.

I had a customer run 70k b&w on a c65 over the course of a week inbetween colour jobs so I can't see this being much of a problem.

Km c6501

Km c6501

If I am not wrong, Banner printing is applicable to C6501 because it applied to c6500 a previous model but you can't install the PF601/602 paper feed because bypass is for banner printing.

Kel

This is true for the creo controller but not sure for the fiery's. You can't use a PF unit of finsiher (catch tray only). For what it's worth you should just ask them to chuck a bizhub into the deal for the banner printing.

This is true for the creo controller but not sure for the fiery's. You can't use a PF unit of finsiher (catch tray only). For what it's worth you should just ask them to chuck a bizhub into the deal for the banner printing.

Yes the Creo patch will allow the banner printing.
WHY is it not availalbe without asking?

Ever tried to remove a 40inch sheets jammed in a C6501?
Trust me, you do NOT want to deal with that.
Banner printing is a function of the Office models and not even all of them.

Hi, I'm from Kenya. Banner printing as far I know is definitely possible with the 6501 but I think you have to add HDD in the machine. This and an adjustment on the DIP-SW should open up banner printing, but once done, in case of paper jam, it is definitely a pain sorting that out. Also, feeding from the bypass tray doesn't always work out very well..... hope this helps.

I recently brought KM C6501, i m priting on the banners and in case of paper jam, i just pull the sheet out of the machine dats not at all a problem.

But im unable not able to load multiple sheet in the bypass tray. Can anybody help me??

I have a KM6501, when I bought it there were three rips available, internal, cheap Fiery and expensive Fiery RIP. I opted for the cheap fiery, but found out that you need the expensive Fiery if lots of finishing options are on the machine, i.e. large booklet maker, folder etc.
On a previous machine a few years ago I opted for an internal rip and it would crash if I sent booklets with a large file size.
This has never happened with the expensive Fiery.
Hope that helps.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back