Rampage Segundo screening set up?

vinny

Hello digit heads,

Is it possible for me to set up this segundo by myself? Do I need a Fuji pro to come in and set up curves etc.? Any info would be helpful to me.:confused::confused:

Hello digit heads,
Is it possible for me to set up this segundo by myself? Do I need a Fuji pro to come in and set up curves etc.? Any info would be helpful to me.:confused::confused:

If you know how to invoke the screening and how to build dot gain compensation curves and if your plate/CtP combination supports the dot size you want to use and if you have process control from platemaking to pressroom then yes you can do it yourself.

best, gordo

my print blog here: Quality In Print

Whow!

Thanks for the quick reply. My boss has incur raged me to do it myself. We have a Dart T6000, Running rampage 11.1 After reading the installation over & over to get somewhat familiar with this first I need the micro spot sizes that the plate setter will image. Where do I get that info? I have a 6 month trial code, not entered yet!

Whow!
Thanks for the quick reply. My boss has incur raged me to do it myself. We have a Dart T6000, Running rampage 11.1 After reading the installation over & over to get somewhat familiar with this first I need the micro spot sizes that the plate setter will image. Where do I get that info? I have a 6 month trial code, not entered yet!

The spot sizes are available from Fuji. They are:

4000 dpi = 6.35 microns
2540 dpi = 10 microns
2438 dpi = 10.42 microns
2400 dpi = 10.58 microns
2000 dpi = 12.7 microns
1200 dpi = 21.7 microns

The important thing though is the dot sizes of the FM screen you'll be using:

I believe that Rampage uses Segundo screening which looks like this:

Segundo.jpg

I do not know the naming conventions to determine the Segundo dot size (maybe you could enlighten me) - you'll need to find the equivalent of a 20-or 25 micron dot or close to 300-400 lpi equivalent.

From then on the process is basically:
1) Have a target tonality (typically your existing AM work) - dot gains or tone responses through the tone scale
2) Run uncalibrated FM plates to target AM densities
3) Measure FM tonal response (there will be more dot gain)
4) Use FM tonal response to build tone compensation curves that will be used when imaging FM plates
5) Run a confirmation form on press
6) If required, make adjustments to Y curve to restore gray balance

The basics of building a plate curve is covered here:
Quality In Print: Printing at DMaxx - part 3 of 5
and here:
Quality In Print: Printing at DMaxx - part 4 of 5

Make sure you get buy-in from the pressroom. Make sure they understand why you want to change things. You might also contact your ink vendor to confirm that the series of inks you are using are compatible with FM - although Segundo should be more forgiving since it is very similar to an AM dot lithographically.
best, gordo

Last edited:
Gordo,

I may be mistaken but I believe this is referring to the recorders resolution and not the laser spots size. At 2540, the recorder can lay down 2540 10 micron lines but this does not mean the laser spots size is 10 micron.

vinny,

I think Sugundo is a second order stochastic. Fuji can provide you what they will support and stand by on your recorder, I do not see it published on their website.. With FM, you usually are referring to the micron size of the dot, 10 or 20 or 25 or 30 micron and on and on. Two, you also need to find out what spot size your plate is rated for and will support.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck

Regards to both of you,

Mark

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back