Ramproof

ngs2600

How are you generating color accurate proofs in the RAMpage workflow? I am looking to run the proofs on an Epson. Are there many using Ramproof with the ICC profiling? Or a third party solution like Oris?

We drop a tif to ORIS and manage everything through ORIS. When we purchased RAMpage the RAMproof option still had some bugs so we went with the ORIS solution. I'm sure those bugs have been worked out and would be a suitable solution for us now.

Hi, I also use Ramproof with the ICC Profile option in Rampage. I am running Rampage 10.6 and proofing to an Epson 10600. I have researched both Oris and EFI 3rd party color management options, but have decided that the cost does not justify the benefits for me at this time.

The main reason I looked into Oris and EFI is the difficulty in calibrating an existing Rampage ICC profile. Example - my Epson proofs come out with a slightly yellow cast for a week or so and the press has a hard time matching the proof - I am asked if I can re-calibrate the color. The Rampage ICC has not been altered since it was matched to the color target, yet I am being asked to adjust the profile to get the proof color back to the original color target. The culprit is obviously the Epson. The ink may be running out in one or more colors, the print heads may be dirty or worn out, the paper may be different, etc. With my setup, I can not control for these variables without yanking the ICC profile around just to create a more balanced proof, and the next time the paper changes or ink runs low I have to do this again. Altering these ICC profiles is not an easy task. I have had techs come in and take 4 hours to complete one re-calibration and still had complaints about color.

With the Oris or EFI solutions you can control for these variables without having to go into Rampage. And the re-calibrations in Oris and EFI are much easier to accomplish than an ICC re-profiling for Rampage. Rampage's color is not bad, but there is a reason that these third party products exist.

All,
Thanks for the feedback. How do you verify that your proofs are in spec? How often?

Mike,
Why is it necessary to have a tech come in to re-calibrate? Can't you create/modify ICC profiles with software like Monaco Profiler? How does Rampage/Ramproof handle the ICC profiles? Is it similar to applying a calibration curve in the output tab? I would assume I will need an ICC profile for each press I am trying to match, sheetfed & webs.

I appreciate everyone's time and input.

I think the newer epsons 9800 and onwards have far more stability than Mikes 10600 however I have replaced Rampage workflow with GMG rips and proof control systems. The gmg rip can be adjusted in a more precise way by editing the ink tables than the other rips you mention.

Recalibration with efi or gmg is a machine operator level function and probably not needed for 3-4 months at a time on a machine in good state in a clean stable enviroment.

if you go to the latest printers with builtin spectrophotometers thaey can be controlled to give a measured certified proof to the appropiate standard without any intervention and no user calibration maintenance.
edwin

ngs2600, the first color profiling was done by Fuji. Rampage was installed, the Epson was calibrated and the proofs were matched to our press output. This process took about 1 1/2 days. Subsequently, the paper we were being sold was changed twice. This led to the original calibration/ICC not working on the new paper. Since Fuji had dictated the paper being changed we had them come in and do a re-calibration.

Here is where the problem arises. Fuji sold us Profilemaker when we bought the Rampage package; but they then began using Monaco when they came in to do re-calibrations, so I can no longer open and edit their profiles. I would have to start over from ground zero and take another day or two (if I could remember how to do the entire profile) in order to get a new calibration/ICC profile. And my epson target from the original profiling is no longer valid because the paper was changed after that point.

In short, the calibrations take time and are far too convoluted to do when the proofs are just slightly off or the paper changes, etc. These fine adjustments are best made with the third party products from Oris, EFI, etc.

Rampage handles ICC profiles fine, just load them in the folder and pick the one you want for whatever proof / press combo you are outputting for. Rampage works great with the actual profiles, it is creating and modifying those profiles that is time consuming.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back