Recent grad here.

zeke1985

How exactly does one even get started in this industry? I just graduated with a BS in Graphic Communications Management and I am really eager to get going. It seems that all the jobs I have looked at want years experience, which is understandable. Does anyone have any tips on how to find a good entry level job? Thanks a lot!

It may be a tough road but it appears one must start from the ground up to gain experience. One must sell oneself to an prospective employer and convince him/her to get you started.

Your school should be able to help you out some I would think . . . the problem is that lately there are more people than jobs . . . .

Your school should be able to help you out some I would think . . . the problem is that lately there are more people than jobs . . . .

You should looking into the Job Placement Center on your college campus.

Don't be afraid to start at the bottom. Find a shop where you can do lots of different jobs and gain experience.

If you are wanting to stay near home there are likely many openings near Cincinnati and Louisville. If staying near home doesn't matter to you this is a global industry with loads of opportunities (especially if you are bilingual). Research the economics of the sectors of this industry and take a serious look at specializing in one (commercial printing, document services, paperboard packaging, flexible packaging, labeling, etc.). Some sectors have good expected growth while others don't seem to have such a bright future.

With the job market being so competitive I would suggest looking into dealing with recruiters as many of the larger companies in our industry tend to source through recruiters. Also if you are interested in working for a vendor installing equipment, troubleshooting equipment, training end users search the job postings on the vendor websites (Esko, Heidelberg, Fujifilm, etc.). As already suggested talk to the career counseling people at your college but don't depend solely on them.

One key piece of advice is to not have a chip on your shoulder about having a BS thinking there is an automatic manager or higher-wage job waiting for you. A degree is like a key to a door that has many locks. Experience generally trounces a degree but when you have both all kinds of doors open. So taking some time to work 'in the trenches' before making moves to move up can be very worthwhile.

A few print specific resources for the job hunter:
PrintWorkers - Printing Jobs - Marketing Jobs and Creative Jobs.
https://jobs.whattheythink.com/jobs/

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to start at the bottom. Find a shop where you can do lots of different jobs and gain experience.

+1. Also, learn everything you can from those with real world experience and learn from their criticisms as opposed to getting defensive.

Now lots of students have this trouble. I was the same when i graduated. I found a job with low salary and get experience at that time, then get jobs easily. hope this will help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back