Recommended pdf options for Fiery RIP/Bizhub 5500 from Photoshop

pdan

Does anybody have any insight as to a best pdf joboption for going to a Fiery RIP/Bizhub Pro c5500?

Tomorrow a customer will be bringing in a 32 page book file created in Photoshop. To my understanding, a Photoshop PDF will mainting live type, which I think will keep the file size at best. But I'm curious as to the actual ppi requirement of my equipment.

My comfort zone is InDesign, and I will place these 32 pdf's into ID to impose and print. My question is what would be the proper resampling for this machine...

I have a joboptions preset listed in my InDesign export dialog, but I think I created that, and the resolution requirement seems to high; resample to 400 (for color/grayscale images over 650)

As this job needs to print, bind and ship in half a day, I'm looking to use only the bandwidth/file sizes necessary.

32 page Photoshop book . . .

32 page Photoshop book . . .

. . . and you've promised that quick of a turnaround?
Yikes!
Could someone re-visit the state of the industry, please . . .

. . . and you've promised that quick of a turnaround?
Yikes!
Could someone re-visit the state of the industry, please . . .

How could you make such a comment without knowing the run length? We do this exact job in minutes.

Hi pdan,

There are definitely a lot of variables here. Photoshop can export different flavors of PDF so there is no guarantee that there is live transparency.

While resolution can have an impact, it won't be the the main reason for processing speed (unless the guy created files that were 4800 DPI). If it comes from Photoshop, all the elements should be the same res (versus an Ind job which could have different resolution elements). I wouldn't worry so much about the resolution. If it comes in 400 dpi, it's probably not worth downsampling it to save on a few megabytes.

The complexity of the file will have the biggest impact. If transparency flattening created a substantial amount of slices (aka atomic regions), it may take longer to print. If the files have live transparency in them and your RIP handles transparency well, I'd try to maintain them. If you do need to flatten or want to flatten, look at PDF/X-1a.

Are you printing this digital or offset? Photoshop PDFs often use a ugly 4-color black build with a high ink coverage. Keep your eyes open for it.

Regards,
Greg

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back