Replacing 2 Konica 6500s

Despotes

Registered Users
I am replacing 2 Konica 6500's with booklet makers soon. My volume has outstripped their capacity. I have a Xerox 700 I am keeping and am looking at a couple of Xerox 8002's or a couple of Xerox 800's with the ColorWorks Pro or Plockmatic booklet makers. We are also considering the Canon C7000, the Konica C8000 and the Ricoh Pro C901.

We produce a great deal of saddle stitched booklets. We will be purchasing a twin loop system, like the GBC STL-1000 and an auto puncher for larger catalogs.

What are your experiences with these printers? Pros and Cons. Gotchas. Advice.

Thanks

We have a Ricoh 720, so I can't help you with the 901, but we do have the Plockmatic.
It's a great booklet maker. You wont be disappointed. Runs at engine speed, will easily blow away 2 c6500's on 8.5 x 11 booklets

I have been running 2 Pro C901's for three months daily and both units are about 30K off their first 400K PM cycle. Neither machine has required service and we have not replaced any of the parts in the ORU kit. The C901 seems to just keep going...

Not sure about Ricoh but tried out a Canon a few years back when we went with the KM 6500 liked the way the output looked better on the KM. Have seen post about the Canon always needing service. (See below.) Love our KM service guy so when we upgrade soon going with them. KM 8000 has some great features - Decurling Humidifier Unit, dual fusing, and belt air feed. Duty cycle of 500,000 per month. But I think for the cost you can get 2 KM 7000 for about the same price that way you should always have one up and running. Not sure which way will be going. I think they all print nice it's the service that is important.

We've had a 7000VP installed since last August. It replaced an original NexPress. The amount of downtime we're experiencing is unacceptable. Canon tells us that the engine is designed for a maximum of 300,000 8.5 x 11 sides per month. We exceed that. Have had ongoing problems with yellow unit resulting in downtime / bad quality. Our impressions between maintenance calls is between 20,000 and 30,000. Is our experience common?

I agree with you on the booklet making with the 6500. Great machine for everything else, but high volumes on booklet/saddle stitch/perfect bind makes them choke and production die.

I'd love to say give the 8000 a try, it's a beautiful machine, but price comes into play too. If you have a high enough volume to warrant a 8000, you're probably better off getting 2 7000s. Of course, if it's in your budget, 2 8000s will have you set for life. (5 years in the printing world).

xerox 800 UV coating

xerox 800 UV coating

I have developed a coating for xerox 800 to solve any adhesion issues in the finishing it seems to be an improvement over the Konica 6500
Curtis Als co uv

I think a good solution should be xerox 1000 with plockmatic: reliable, high quality output, clear ink, real productivity with no compromise

We replaced our 2 650s last year with a Ricoh 900 and 901. The 901 has a booklet maker but not the heavy duty one. Honestly we havnt used the bookletmaker alot.
Both machines are at least 30% faster and the GBC puncher is a game changer.
The only major con of those machines is that neither will run textured stock.
No wove, no linen, no laid. Our 650s ran textured stock all day. We actually are still running one particular job at another printer with 650s till we decide on a good substitute.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back