requesting answers/ tips for sm74

Newaz

hello....our company has decided to buy a sm74-p
can anyone please recommend what is the highest GSM i can run on this machine?
what would be your suggestion if i want to run 350 gsm on straight line to avoid marking probs? we are at the verge of making the decision...your suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

i believe it is rated up to 24pt. but we have never run more than 16pt. if your running alot of 350gsm you may want to investigate a 74 cd or a 75xl. but a regular 74 will do what you want but may require some setup and planning depending on what your printing

Last edited:
If you are going to be running a lot of 350gsm board with any serious ink coverage, I'd be looking at a cd or xl, the cost difference would probably be made up by the amount of time you spend chasing marking on the sm-74, the cd/xl's with their air transfers make tricky jobs much easier. I've spent a fair bit of time as an operator on both the sm and cd 74, i don't miss the sm at all, but the cd was an awesome bit of gear.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR ANSWERS !

um.....i would say i am looking at half of my jobs be in 350 gsm.... What sort of setups are you referring to ? have u ever used any antimarking solutions?if so then how was the result? i agree with u ...the cd is much more a versatile machine. but its a bit out of budget i guess!!

anti marking super blue and the likes can't get everywhere. there are bars and guides throughout the machine that can hit the sheet. or that a thick sheet will slap against so the setup is moving guides and cleaaning a dirty spot. now its not a big deal I suppose if you run the same types of jobs often.

if u r a packaging printing , dont go for sm74, go for xl or cd, my strong advice on that.

regardsa
a.m

That is not absolutely true.

CD stands for Carton Drucke I think and is made for handling boards better than plain Speed Masters. Hence, there is no implication that SMs are not suitable for packaging printing. For label printers, it makes little difference whether they run a CD or a SM. For those who print on boards, the difference is in terms of robustness and convenience and not possibility.

Regards,

Yoga

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back