Ricoh C550EX with E-8100 Fiery Controller

cchrisj

Nubie here ... and thinking I just made the worst business decision of my life.

We print maybe 1000 color copies a month, but are always concerned about color accuracy. Long story short -- I ended up purchasing a Ricoh C550EX. I learned recently that it came with a E-8100 Fiery Color Controller, which I thought was optional, based on the description on Ricoh's website. Frankly, I wish I had never purchased it - I just feel like it's major overkill. Money is not an issue, but I certainly don't want to waste money and want the right product for our application.

Anyway, can the C550EX be installed/used WITHOUT the E-8100 Fiery Color Controller. I have tried configuring it to our network with a static IP address, and appropriate network settings, but cannot "see" it on the network.

Thanks for the help.

If you want color accuracy as you stated, thenyou will need not only the Fiery but the Graphics Package with the Spectro as well to keep the color consistant.

As Joe has indicated color accuracy is what the Fiery is for, as well as for processing speed. Ricoh makes models similar to the 550 which use an embedded non-Fiery controller however their niche is usually business color vs. graphics color. The 550/700 model has always been bundled with an external Fiery and is configured under the hood to run that way only. Without Fiery, Creo etc you'd have a hard time keeping color accurate.

We do have many accounts like you who are concerned less about volume and more with getting accurate consistant color and also use these machines as proofing units.

I greatly appreciate the posts. I understand the purpose of the Fiery Controller and understand its capabilities. We do not print anything for external use. We are not a printer for other businesses .. no business cards, flyers, letterhead, etc. OUr printing is entirely internal and for our own use. In other words, we have only to please ourselves with the color quality. This fact, coupled with the low volume, makes me think we are in the overkill situation.

We have had an Lanier LD335c for over 5 years and it has done fine, though we are having regular issues with the clutches.

So, am I to understand that the C550 EX is not capable of any printing without the E-1800? It cannot be installed on the network without it? An embedded non-Fiery controller cannot be added/installed into the C550EX?

Thanks again.

I greatly appreciate the posts. I understand the purpose of the Fiery Controller and understand its capabilities. We do not print anything for external use. We are not a printer for other businesses .. no business cards, flyers, letterhead, etc. OUr printing is entirely internal and for our own use. In other words, we have only to please ourselves with the color quality. This fact, coupled with the low volume, makes me think we are in the overkill situation.

We have had an Lanier LD335c for over 5 years and it has done fine, though we are having regular issues with the clutches.

So, am I to understand that the C550 EX is not capable of any printing without the E-1800? It cannot be installed on the network without it? An embedded non-Fiery controller cannot be added/installed into the C550EX?

Thanks again.

The MPC6000 is the same machine as the 550 but without a fiery. You might be able to install the embedded GW controller but if you did what would you do with the fiery? Did you just get the machine or something?

Don't know. Maybe sell Fiery E-1800 and the Spectro.?? Yes ... just got it. It has 11 copies/prints on it. I have tried the reconfiguration and so now it is not able to communicate to the network or the Fiery server. Probably won't even turn it back on ... I'm so disgusted with the situation.

To be honest, the ideal scenario would be to trade it in for the correct machine, but the finance company would have a cow. Not sure why, so long as they are paid, what would they care? But, they had to come and inspect all the equipment and make sure it turned on before they would fund Ricoh. (I have been so disgusted by it all, I just wanted to have it sit there and not turn it on, but they made me).

Frankly, I just want out of it altogether, but that's not going to happen. I am searching for a way to make lemonade. Even thought of donating it's use to the local food pantry. VERY surprised it will not work without the Fiery. Makes no sense to me. I think I asked my sales person about the MPC6000, but he said I would like the C550EX better. Now I'm very sorry I even entered into the transaction. Even worse, I alone am responsible.

... kicking myself big time.

Correct, there are no other RIP options with the C550 besides the Fiery. There are workflow automation features that could help make printing to it easier for mulitple users, such as Hot Folders and templates if that would help any. Bascially if you feel that you chose more horsepower than you needed and the machine is new you may be able to work something out with your sales rep about getting a replacement for it.

Thanks again.

Is there any way you can give the the instructions for setting it back up to work with the Fiery Controller? I think it had an IP address, etc. specific for the Controller.

Just unhooking the fiery and plugging the network will not work for sure. There is a print scan sc card that goes in the machine without a fiery. The ricoh controller might work if you put that card in but I can't say for sure because I haven't tried it. The difference between the MPC6000 and the 550ex is the MPC6000 comes with the print scan card and the 550ex has the fiery.

[qoute]but are always concerned about color accuracy.[/quote]

If you went into the sale telling them this that's why they sold you the machine they did. As soon as you tell these guys you care about color quality they think you need the firey. I would go back to the sales person and tell them what's going on tell them they were wrong you don't like it better. It won't be the first time they had to exchange a machine.

If the issue it that the driver is too complicated you can use the PCL driver which is much simpler.

The spectrometer you could sell but the E8100 only goes on the 550ex and 700ex and those come with one so I can't see why anyone would wanna buy one.

- "Just unhooking the fiery and plugging the network will not work for sure. There is a print scan sc card that goes in the machine without a fiery. The ricoh controller might work if you put that card in but I can't say for sure because I haven't tried it. The difference between the MPC6000 and the 550ex is the MPC6000 comes with the print scan card and the 550ex has the fiery."

I guess now I have to re-connect the fiery and see if it can be seen on the network. The tech who installed it did not say it would not work without the fiery, but that I should try it with the fiery first. I have not changed any config in the fiery. But I have changed everything in the C550EX. Is it possible that the C550EX will auto config from the E1800?

Also, where might I purchase a print scan sc card?

Right now I have a nice big door stop.

You would have to talk to a ricoh dealer unless you can find one online someplace. The EDP code for the print / scan kit for a MPC6000 is 003187MIU. The kit is a print / scan sd card and two buttons. The part number for the SD card alone is D3765017. I have no idea if it will work in that machine so don't go spending a ton on one and be mad at me if it doesn't work you really should talk to the sales rep or the local tech!

Thanks. Update: I have hooked everything back up and am printing to it via the generic postscript printer driver included with Mac OSX 10.7 (can't find the other drivers online anywhere). It works and the color is acceptable.

Two more questions: 1) How do I set the sleep settings on the Fiery server? It should be sleeping the 28 days a month we aren't using it. 2) How do I either make the unit invisible on the network or set up a user profile to prevent use by unauthorized users?

Thanks.

LINK Here is a link to the 10.7 driver.

If that link doesn't work go to ricoh-usa.com/downloads and search for 550ex.

There isn't really a sleep setting on the fiery. It's a windows pc so you could change the sleep settings in windows maybe. If you really want it off 28 days a month I would just shut it down. You can restrict printing with user codes but it's too much to type :) place a service call and your tech should be able to set it up.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back