Ricoh C7110 prints are too hot and melt togetner

nemprint.dk

I have a Ricoh C7110, with the finisher - Not stacker.
I have one big problem though. when I print on 170g and 250g coated paper. The prints are so hot that they melt together in the finisher.
When I take them apart, I have toner from the lower print on the top one. And both prints are destroyed.
I get the problem after 200 - 1.000 duplex SR A3, depending on how much toner that are on the print.
Ricoh talk about paper profiles, but havent solved the problem.
Does anyone else have that problem ?

Last edited:
You can make a custom paper and try running at a lower temp otherwise the buffer pass unit will take care of it.

@Msaeger
Ricoh here tells me that you never need the buffer, when you have a finisher. That is only for the stacker.
They made a profile, where they lowered the temperature 20 degree. But the print dosn´t look the same, so I am not using that profile.
I am trying to figure what the right solution for the problem is. Ofcourse lowering the temperature will work. But if that is not the right fix for that problem. I dont like it. It changes the color. And I am afraid the toner is not burned properly on the paper. So it will be easier to scratch in my finisheing machines.
Have you installed any machines with both finisher and buffer ?
Thank you for your reply.

On an old Xerox I had they retrofitted a cooling fan in the transport area before the stacker. All it was is an over sizes PC cooling fan blowing over the sheet as it traveled to the finisher. A few times the fan quit and we had a paper brick.

I'm running a Ricoh C901. Same problem with heavy coverage on paper weights higher than 170gsm. If left as a single stack, it bricks up. Our fix, as tedious as it seems, is to separate the stack every 100 sheets or so. Stack them separately on a cooler surface for 20 minutes or so. We have the fan at the exit but it makes little difference.

Sounds like the buffer is the way to go. Ricoh also have a fan solution, but that can blow light paper something that will cause a Jam. So what would mean another workstation for someone to watch the blower.
Thank you for your input guys.

I don't have a 7110 in the field yet but I have many 901s that have finishers and the buffer pass unit. The buffer pass will definitely stop the bricking the paper is room temperature after going through there. I also have some 5100s that we needed to install the fan on the finisher.

Last edited:
I have a Ricoh 901 and I do not have that problem at all...but I do have the decurler/cooling section...I have had the machine for 3 years and no issues....Looking at the 7110 now and was told I need that section on that machine as well!

On my 901 I have the standard finisher stapler and hole punch and also have the plockmatic with facetrim and squaring.

You will be served best by having the Buffer Pass added to your config. The extra exhaust of media heat and the added media travel will solve your bricking concerns. It doesn't add alot of width to the total config.

Hi just to add some options:
If you are finding the Paper Catalogue is changing colors, then there might be a conflict with how your calibrating your Fiery for Plain/ Coated Matte and Coated Glossy stocks...... If you are not calibrating for all three types of stock independently, OR have your Fiery set to apply the same calibration curve to all three stocks, then you may find your manual paper selection vs your paper catalogue settingss are running with different calibration settings ( or even NO calibration ) ....thus explaining why you are reluctant to use the paper catalogue.... please get extra training if need be

OR
Keep using your manual paper settings, but you may wish to run your stocks on a lower paper weight setting than you currently are ( you may need to have your tech disable thickness detection) .....
Typically if your stocks are coming out with plenty of heat, you will not suffer any "scratching" from poor fusing...so depending on the stock ( Coated text weights for example) , you may benefit from running your Paper Weight setting lower than the GSM written on your paper packaging....effectively adding less heat

First choice is to do option A...make sure you are either calibrating for each paper type ( Plain, Coated Matte and Coated Glossy) , OR go to your Fiery Color Set Up - Expert Settings - and check the box that applies the PLAIN calibration curve to Coated Matte and Coated Glossy aswell.... providing very close color output on all three stocks..... but the need to only calibrate for a single stock. Then when you use the Paper Catalogue, with a reduced temperature setting.....you get the color you expect, with less heat, and no "cheating " of the paper weight.

First choice as noted above is the Buffer Pass unit.... but above options may save you aggravation if you did not go with one.....

As for your jamming issue.... the 7110 has a thickness detection feature which actually is reading to ensure the thickness set in driver or control panel matches the actual thickness "sensed" by the paper thickness sensor..... I confess, while this is designed to ensure fusing does not allow toner to "scratch off" , it can be a little over zealous, and create false jams. By false, I mean the paper is not crunching inside of machine.....but thickness sensor will stop the job, requiring sheets to be removed, and assumes you loaded the wrong stock..... If you read the jam code "JXXX" on the display screen on the engine, your tech can advise you what is causing the machine to stop...... an actual jam caused by paper slippage or skew in machine, or a thickness error....

In general, the 7110 does not jam because of paper being too thick, typical in the old days...... its very robust. Only issues I have seen on previous 651/751, perhaps after some time paper pick up rubber needs replacement, or the thickness detection, skew detection is assuming perhaps a double sheet feed, or excessive paper skew inside paper path..... some techs will disable thickness detection if
causing more frustration than benefit....

The 7100/ 7110 family looks like a real winner to me....yes I work for Ricoh, but I have sold many different models over my 25 year career ( Canon & KM) .... but they are very strong engines with great
paper handling and registration..... I love everybodies comments....yes clear can be weak in adding gloss....but thought registration would be good enough for double hit ...might need some tweaking to
get fully lined up.....just need good tech .... always the most important factor for any manufacturer....Ricoh included ! Good Luck!

Last edited:
Hi just to add some options:
If you are finding the Paper Catalogue is changing colors, then there might be a conflict with how your calibrating your Fiery for Plain/ Coated Matte and Coated Glossy stocks...... If you are not calibrating for all three types of stock independently, OR have your Fiery set to apply the same calibration curve to all three stocks, then you may find your manual paper selection vs your paper catalogue settingss are running with different calibration settings ( or even NO calibration ) ....thus explaining why you are reluctant to use the paper catalogue.... please get extra training if need be

OR
Keep using your manual paper settings, but you may wish to run your stocks on a lower paper weight setting than you currently are ( you may need to have your tech disable thickness detection) .....
Typically if your stocks are coming out with plenty of heat, you will not suffer any "scratching" from poor fusing...so depending on the stock ( Coated text weights for example) , you may benefit from running your Paper Weight setting lower than the GSM written on your paper packaging....effectively adding less heat

First choice is to do option A...make sure you are either calibrating for each paper type ( Plain, Coated Matte and Coated Glossy) , OR go to your Fiery Color Set Up - Expert Settings - and check the box that applies the PLAIN calibration curve to Coated Matte and Coated Glossy aswell.... providing very close color output on all three stocks..... but the need to only calibrate for a single stock. Then when you use the Paper Catalogue, with a reduced temperature setting.....you get the color you expect, with less heat, and no "cheating " of the paper weight.

First choice as noted above is the Buffer Pass unit.... but above options may save you aggravation if you did not go with one.....

As for your jamming issue.... the 7110 has a thickness detection feature which actually is reading to ensure the thickness set in driver or control panel matches the actual thickness "sensed" by the paper thickness sensor..... I confess, while this is designed to ensure fusing does not allow toner to "scratch off" , it can be a little over zealous, and create false jams. By false, I mean the paper is not crunching inside of machine.....but thickness sensor will stop the job, requiring sheets to be removed, and assumes you loaded the wrong stock..... If you read the jam code "JXXX" on the display screen on the engine, your tech can advise you what is causing the machine to stop...... an actual jam caused by paper slippage or skew in machine, or a thickness error....

In general, the 7110 does not jam because of paper being too thick, typical in the old days...... its very robust. Only issues I have seen on previous 651/751, perhaps after some time paper pick up rubber needs replacement, or the thickness detection, skew detection is assuming perhaps a double sheet feed, or excessive paper skew inside paper path..... some techs will disable thickness detection if
causing more frustration than benefit....

The 7100/ 7110 family looks like a real winner to me....yes I work for Ricoh, but I have sold many different models over my 25 year career ( Canon & KM) .... but they are very strong engines with great
paper handling and registration..... I love everybodies comments....yes clear can be weak in adding gloss....but thought registration would be good enough for double hit ...might need some tweaking to
get fully lined up.....just need good tech .... always the most important factor for any manufacturer....Ricoh included ! Good Luck!

Here is a little update.
I got the buffer unit, and that solved the brick problem. That was the only thing that worked. But the problems are adding up on the machine. I am beginning to think the 7110 was a bad choice.

Here is a little update.
I got the buffer unit, and that solved the brick problem. That was the only thing that worked. But the problems are adding up on the machine. I am beginning to think the 7110 was a bad choice.

I am interested in knowing what other issues you are having...I have been looking at the machine...look forward to hearing about them....I hope it all works out!

here is the current problems I am having.

- Jams on coated paper. Sometimes i can print 5.000 shets without problems, other times 5 sheets of the same paper. It is both double feed and nonfeed jam. So there is no clear system. To me it just seems like the vacuum feeder is very sensitive.

- Print on textures paper. It was great the first two month - now it cant do it. it gets worse if I actually run the paper as textured. Sometimes it can make one ot two perfect prints. Then it changes to making white dots inthe print.

- Duplex problems. Whenever they upgrade fiery, I get a wierd problem. When I am making 4+4 print, the sheets switch between landscape and horizontal in the samw job, when I am using hotfolders. Not if I just drag the file to the hold que on the fiery.
This problem gives me a massive amount if unusable printjobs.

- 4+1 jobs. When I make 4+1 jobs (by adding paper range, and then grayscale) I get two sheets of papier instead of one duplex, sometimes. That can be adjusted by the "Use pdf print engine"

- Impose with userdefined paper size dosn't work on hotfolders as soon as I apply settings to the job (ect. clear toner or a page range) then it goes from "user defined" to bled sixe.

- The prints looked better 2 month ago. I can't say excacalt what changed. Before all prints was just spot on. Now I have to fiddle with dot size and all kinds of things for most jobs.

- The engineer is here 2-3 times a week to fix all kinds of small problems.

I have a printshop with 12 machines, mixed KM, Ricoh and Xerox. I never had anything like this. Unless you really love this machine for some reason. I would consider another model, or at least get in for testing for 3 month. We had 2 weeks, which wasnt enough.

Last edited:
How many prints before you started having the issues?

I think the issues was there all the time, I just didn't notice the system in them.
Except for the textured paper problems, that came after 75.000 prints. (roughly )
Now I have around 170.000 prints on the printer.

Could you please tell me if the banner (70cm) and the use of clear toner is the same or do Ricoh increase click cost? I'm going to demo the 7100 but we haven't talked about click charges. Thanks.

Could you please tell me if the banner (70cm) and the use of clear toner is the same or do Ricoh increase click cost? I'm going to demo the 7100 but we haven't talked about click charges. Thanks.

I think its not fixed worldwide.
I have same price for banner and A3, and I pay for clear toner plus i get chraged 0,0045 EUR/Clear print.

In the UK we pay for the clear and white toner click 1p and buy the toner £250 also the 700mm sheet is counted as two A3 clicks 3p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back