Ricoh C900 Major Issues

Humidity seems to help with "fireflies". I've noticed during the summer when the humidity was up there was almost no fireflies. Also, it seems to do it more with cyan with what we print and when the ink coverage is heavier.

I wouldn't say "don't buy". I would just suggest the ricoh 901. They've addressed most of the issues of the 900 with the 901. 901 doesn't use oil to fuse which the oil problems have been our main problems.

No machine is perfect and the ricoh 900 has been an ok machine for the cost

Buy or Lease or Don't Buy or Lease

Buy or Lease or Don't Buy or Lease

Seeing as how I was the start of this particular thread, I thought I might add my 2 sense here.

After all the dust settled with all of our problems with the first machine and Ikon finally replacing it with a new used machine, I would say the C900 is still worth it. It does have some small issues which are dealt with by using other stocks or other settings which you find out by testing.

However, the positives out weigh the negatives for us. The machine literally does not slow down when printing on heavy stocks. We use a lot of #100 12x18 and as far as we are concerned, it works very well.

Quality is also very good. We compared our prints to that of the Canon 7000. Our prints were very close to that machine.

We have never really had any issues with the oil as posted above.

Bottom line: Get it if you can learn how to use it. The price point alone for that machine makes it worth it.

The oil issue is created by running gloss/matte coated paper which is 90% of our workload.
We don't have the option of not running coated and before we bought the machine we explained what the machine would be running. Like I said. It's been alot of little issues all in all a good machine for the price.

@davidjbeatty - the lines on the 13x19 sheet could be wear in the fuser. We had that issue with our Konica (and they installed a "user swapable fusing unit"). If you run alot of 12x18 cover, it will leave scores at the 12" width on the fuser. We didn't want this issue on a new machine, so since having our Ricoh installed, we have only run 13x19 sheets when using cover, and have had no problems.
The "eye" that reads the sheet doesn't like bright colored stock (or translucents for that matter) this can be fixed in the Operator Settings, by turning off Skew Detect and side to side registration for the tray that the stock is in. - I would turn them back on after running the stock. We had to figure this one out trying to run a "frosty clear" sheet, and it also worked on a Domtar Hots orange cover stock which would keep dumping into the misfeed tray. Our local branch has been very helpful solving these kinds of issues, even allowing us access to "service mode" so we can cheat things (like the fusing temp associated with a certain finish/weight) to get jobs out. I have to say they've gone far beyond the level accommodation we got from our other provider.

I do fear that because the 901 doesn't use fuser oil, (proper fusing seems to be the most common issue on the 900) Ricoh is basically admitting it was a mistake, and as the years go on, techs and engineers will be less enthusiastic about resolving any issues on a 900 and you get the ol "that's the limitation of the machine".

Last edited:
Seeing as how I was the start of this particular thread, I thought I might add my 2 sense here.

After all the dust settled with all of our problems with the first machine and Ikon finally replacing it with a new used machine, I would say the C900 is still worth it. It does have some small issues which are dealt with by using other stocks or other settings which you find out by testing.

However, the positives out weigh the negatives for us. The machine literally does not slow down when printing on heavy stocks. We use a lot of #100 12x18 and as far as we are concerned, it works very well.

Quality is also very good. We compared our prints to that of the Canon 7000. Our prints were very close to that machine.

We have never really had any issues with the oil as posted above.

Bottom line: Get it if you can learn how to use it. The price point alone for that machine makes it worth it.

Greetings.Happy New Year in advance. What are you using now Ricoh 900 or 901.What is the price of the equipment & click charges you are paying. This info will help me in deciding my purchase which I have short listed between Canon c6010vp & Ricoh 900/901. Thanks in advance.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back