Rip for Prepress

JohnT

Hello.
I'm being told by my prepress dept. that we are in need a new rip system as we are having problems with ripping complex files for our Heidelberg DI Press, Docucolor and Epson 10000.
My local sales rep is proposing a Xitron Navigator Rip bundle. Does anyone have some realistic info from actual users as to how good of a rip this actually is?

John -

You have 3 different engines with 3 distinct imaging technologies.
Xitron makes excellent products. Their RIPs can drive your DI press and you can also get their proof plug-in for the Epson 10000 and that may all work.

However, your Xerox engine will require an external RIP from either EFI, Creo/Kodak or Xerox (DocUSP). These can only be sold to you by an authorized Xerox agent or by a 3rd party (used) dealer like JJ Bender.

Does that help?

Ian and VladCanada are correct. A Harlequin RIP would be the way to go for the DI and Epson 10000. You may want to look at

Harlequin RIP, Harlequin RIPs, Software RIP, NEW! Harlequin Software RIP Version 8.1

Harlequin RIP Engine and Core for the DI and Epson 10000 at a good price. You may be able to output PDF Rasters to the Xerox or output composite TIFF files. A lot of the RIPs and Workflows on the market can also use 1-bit or 8-bit TIFF output for CTP work.

DI-Rip

DI-Rip

I'd like to add my two cents to this DI-Rip discussion.

Yes, Xitron is a good RIP for driving most any CTP and DI configuration (I think they probably have an interface with more devices than anyone) but they are not the only game in town. The learning curve is somewhat cumbersome but once you get familiar with it, it is a very productive RIP. Trapping, I Proofing, Inposition and Workflow are all optional modules to add on.

Xante (RipIt) Symphony rip will direct drive a DI as well. Symphony Rip comes from years of experience and is by far the easiest training curve and most productive rip on the market. It comes standard with Raster Inposition and Trapping as well as a productive workflow. It is not Harlequin core it is a true Adobe engine. Proofing, including dot-to-dot proofing are optional modules. Their pricing is comparable to Xitron.

Also, there is a new RIP I saw at the Chicago show called Studio RIP. I was very impressed with the performance and ease of use. Actually would give Symphony a run for their money when it comes to productivity and learning curve. Based on a Ghost engine and it too will direct drive a DI press. It also has raster based trapping and inposition standard and has a simple, easy interface and workflow. They've been around quite a while in Europe and are just making their way into North America. Their prices are considerably less than Xitron or Symphony.

For what it's worth... I've been involved in the prepress industry for about 25 years and have worked with nearly every prepress software in existance.
I am a dealer/installer and trainer for all three of these Rips. I would welcome any and all questions and comments either online or offline.

KJ Saks
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back