Rumor has it there are musicians around...

tgreer

I've been talking a bit with SlowPockets, comparing notes on music and instruments. I've noted over the years a tendency for good programmers to play music, too. Mainly guitar. Is it the same in the prepress world? I'm curious how many people play an instrument, what kind, and what musical style.

I own/play a Taylor 514ce, a couple of Baby Taylors (one spruce top, the other Mahogany) to take with me when I'm on the road. Plus a drawer full of harmonicas, which I play badly. Crate acoustic amp.

I'm into any music with great acoustic guitar, from any decade. Bluegrass, Country, Folk, Rock - whatever.

Obligatory Banjo joke:

Q. Why are there no bajos on Star Trek?
A. Star Trek is set in the future.

Re: Rumor has it there are musicians around...

Slipknot in kilts. LOL. Awesome.

To answer the question directly and - ahum - stay on topic: Never had a lick of luck with guitar. Tried like hell though. Was a singer/songwriter in a heavy rock band in Nashville then again in Columbus, OH. Fun stuff.

Never could program much either...or very good at foreign languages. Probably all related. ;-)

hmm does DJ´ing count? anyway, i used to sing in a band and in a choir a long time ago. also play a little guitar, some bass and absolutely no drums ;D and yeah, been a DJ for the best part of the last 6 years.

not a programmer either, but trying hard to get a hold on it...(actually known as DJ press, btw)

Edited by: Luciano de Sampaio Soares on Sep 6, 2007 2:38 PM

I'm originally a bass player, electric Ibanez 4 string, Ibanez 5 string, Fender Jazz bass fretless and I have an old upright K bass with bow. I'm also a drummer and somewhat of a guitar player. I have a studio at the house... Pearl drumset, Fender Strat, Jackson Kelly pro, Marshall Les Paul copy, Ampeg 300watt bass head with the Ampeg 4-10 cab. I use a Fender Bassman tube head with a 12 inch cab for guitar because the old bass tube sounds bitchun to play a guitar through.

Music styles include anything from metal to jazz to funk and anything in between. I've played in jazz bands and thrash metal bands and I am currently looking for a decent funk or ska gig.

So, does anyone know what a bassoon is good for?

Kindling for an accordion fire.

I envy folks with in-house studios. Fortunately, my neighbor is an aircraft mechanic who gets home at 3:00pm, and I work at home. He is in a great local band, and his setup is phenomenal. When I see the pickups roll up at Jay's house, I strap up and head over.

Why do bagpipe players walk while they play?

To get away from the noise!

It is indeed fun. I have been acquiring various instruments since high school and now I have enough for our usual BBQ and friday night rock fights. I rescued the upright bass from a grade school. The poor thing was abused and the sound peg had even got knocked out of position. Going in through the F holes with tongs to get it back in place almost put me in the looney bin. I built a new bridge too and now she plays fairly well.

What's the difference between a squirrel lying dead in the road and a pedal steel guitar player lying dead in the road?

The squirrel was on his way to a gig!

Sounds like we have similar music tastes along with beer. I'm all over the map as well. Been known to enjoy Kind of Blue and Seasons in the Abyss on the same day. Not to mention Rich Boy. LOL. All over the map. Favorite stuff is Tool though hands down. Been known to fire up some bluegrass as well (it's a heritage thing). Love the bluegrass Zeppelin and Ozzy stuff. Quite fun stuff.

Dude, we're right there! I have a TON of Tool on ye ol iPod! I was raised on Floyd, Zep, Steely Dan and the Beatles. I can play MOST anything on bass but lately I have been working on some challenging drum riffs... Parabolis by Tool is a pain in my everlonin' arse, but what is life without a challenge!?! Sevendust has been rocking my world lately too.

Tool: Every album. The day it comes out. 8 shows total. Damn near got to play with them once. Was able to meet and talk to Adam Jones for a long time at a Lollapalooza way back when. Second stage they were then I think. Good times. He just seemed like a regular kid really. He almost missed their set and they had to come whisk him away on a golf cart. That was my sign to boogie on over to see 'em. Maynard mohawk and blowup dolls from what I can barely remember...

Sweet! I remember the days of Lollapalooza! I went to one at the Gorge in Washington... I think 1995 but Tool wasn't there. :( Still a great day.

I have an MP3 deck in the truck and the iPod connects in the glove box. Whenever a Tool song comes on, my 3 year old says "Stop daddy, that song!" so I don't skip it. His favorite is The Pot, he even sings along. I tried bouncing some pop music off him the other day just to see and he didn't want anything to do with it. He really likes Rage and The Used too. My six year old is more into Cake, The Presidents of The United States of America, TISM, etc...

Heh. You'll appreciate this one then. My brother (our guitar player) was having his first kid back when we were still playing and his wife would listen to us practice all the time. When their son was born he would fuss and fuss until Steve figured out he wouldn't when Tool was playing. Only thing that would calm him down. Womb vibrations or something I guess. Sounded familiar...

lollapalooza still exists...although it is in chicago permanently, it doesnt travel anymore. they still pull in huge talent, and the crowds are amazing. i love live music, but my days of shoulder-to-shoulder out-in-the-sun sweating-my-ass-off festivals are over. i prefer smaller indoor venues.

ive been having a hard time sinking myself into much new music these days, keep finding myself going back to my old favorites from yesteryear. my commute went from 3 hours a day to 10 minutes a day in the last year, so that put a damper on my music consumption.

cr

btw...my ipod is loaded with love and rockets, the cure, and the dandy warhols, with some good old fashioned george thorogood and the delaware destroyers. someone just re-introduced me to nickelback, and i think im going to be listening tho that some more, too...my tastes are definately all over the map. actually, im not sure they make a map that has some of my favorites on it.

cr

theres a good bad or colective as they are knowen now
called
Alabama 3

you guys heard of them

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Alvarez Yari

Cheezy explorer knock off

mandolin (it's really fun to play).

Various pedals that I never use.

I'm still waiting for the 80's to come back. Until then BLS will get me thru.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back