running DHCP on CREO SPIRE vs Fixed IP question

John A

Need some network IP configuration help here...

1) So we just got a Xerox 700 with a Creo front end.

2) We are using DHCP on our network router for all our machines (mostly macs and various RIPs)

3) I was just cracking open the Darwin Desktop for InDesign (Mac) manual and one of the items it mentions is setting up an IP printer connection for the Creo. Since we are running DHCP that won't work because the IP address will be different each time you start the Creo.

QUESTION: Can I set the Creo to use a static IP address without wreaking havoc with the DHCP router?

Should I make up an IP number just out of the range that the router uses or just use one of the 50 that's not currently assigned?

Will the router (Netgear) just recognize that static IP on the Creo and work around it?

Edit:

I believe I just found the answer. Set the Netgear router to assign IPs beginning at .10 instead of .02 and all the numbers below .10 become static available.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
John, let me know please how your unite preforms. We have one of the first such configurations and are still having plenty of problems with both, creo and the unit.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back