Ryobi 3302 with crestline

jimas67

Can anyone tell me what kind of fountain solution you use in your 3302? I have only 2 choices Varn Superlene (which we use on the smaller ryobi's) or Hostman Steinberg's Sbustifix- AF which is used on our larger press. I'm having a hard time getting either one to mix right, and I'm having to mix with tap water...any suggestions?:D

I'm having a problem with the inks emulsifying on the water rollers, which is causing the plates to have a water build up especially when running a solid, or a metalic ink.

Crestlines are sort of known for this. Whats happening is there is too much ink in the ink rollers, and is getting transferred up to the water. Once that happens, better to clean everything and start over. You can either increase the fount solution a tiny bit, or just back off on the ink. Also, use distilled water. For metal plates, I like FC-1000 concentrate. You can also check your PH, but if you use distilled, it should fix that too. Hard water is killer in Crestlines. So is soft. So best to go with distilled, NOT CARBON FILTERED like from a Brita pitcher. The carbon causes its own problems.

Thanks I'll try the distilled water. We have a filtration system for the big press so I will get some from that, I'll let you know what happens!!

If it's better, but still not great, you may need to clean all the rollers really good with a pumice like paste. Calcium can build up on the rollers.

Thanks I'll try the distilled water. We have a filtration system for the big press so I will get some from that, I'll let you know what happens!!
Just to be clear: although it can be filtered, distilled water is NOT the same as filtered water.

Al

Are you using metal or Poly plates. To help the ink piling you are seeing use and alcohol substitute made by Anchor call ARS-X. You use about 1 to 2 oz per gallon. In your case you are not using this as an alcohol sub but as a piling agent. The sub will break the ink down and make it go back into the roller train. Do not exceed the amount I have given. To do so may cause plate scumming and drying issues. This has been a problem with the crestlines since the beginning. There are other subs out there but this one seems to work the best

The Crestlines work best with Anchor JRZ (FujiFilm product now) at 3ounces per gallon and two ounces of alcohol substitute.

Anchor and the Crestline people (Excell, if I remember correctly) did an uncoordinated evaluation of fountain solutions for the Crestline Dampener, as the presidents of Excell and Anchor at the time were buddies. I sent a large assortment of fountain solutions and alcohol substitutes to Texas and Excell provided Anchor with a Crestline dampener for the 1250 we were using at the time to imprint labels (we used Mitsubishi SilverMaster plates and whatever black ink customers sent us for evaluation, they all ran fine). I asked the pressman at Anchor (who had an entire warehouse full of fountain solutions to try) to let me know what he thought worked best. Being distracted by the web fountain solution business at the time I did not pay much attention to the process but both Excell and Anchor's pressman came to the same conclusion and picked the same product, which Excell private labeled from Anchor for many years (they may still be doing so, I left Anchor in 2005 and would not know. That product would be the FC-1000 referred to in a previous post). The ARS-X was to address the issue (not confined to Crestline dampeners) where duplicator size presses are unable to adequately liquefy the ink causing the often poorly ink receptive image areas of the astonishing variety of plates small press operators use to have problems taking ink from the rollers, interfering with transfer and ink water balance.

On a Meihle, I would prefer the old MeihleMatic dampener, but on a little Ryobi, the Crestline seems to be relatively trouble free compared to most small press dampening systems. I am too poor to afford a Heidelberg......

On a Meihle, I would prefer the old MeihleMatic dampener, but on a little Ryobi, the Crestline seems to be relatively trouble free compared to most small press dampening systems. I am too poor to afford a Heidelberg......

Yes, I prefer the Crestlines over the Kompac's. I ran one of the first 3302's in the States. It had the conventional cloth dampeners. Love the dampeners on the Heidi's and Meihle's.

Russ

"Originally Posted by Dan Roll
I wish I had a 3302 with Crestlines..........
Dan

Responded to by Russtoper
Why would you want Crestlines on your Hiedi or Meihle?"

A 3302 is a Ryobi press.

Al

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back