Ryobi or Hamada

I am considering buying used 2 color press for 4 colour process work and have two options. One is Hamada C-248SF and other Ryobi 3302. Ryobi has crestline. Both presses are of almost same age and usage. Could anyone suggest which offers better 4 color?

Stay with the Ryobi there are a lot more of them out there and the Hamada is a piece of crap. They tried to copy the GTO and failed miserably at it. It has trouble feeding any paper curl up and the curl up wont register very well. It does a terrible job on solids as well. Also you have to pack the plates as well unless you run a perma pac. Ryobl wont allow you color bars doing two up or 11x17 which is a bummer. Hamada will print a 14 x 20 sheet and do a terrible job at it. Maybe try and find a Ryobi 512

Right now Ryobi is dealing big time we just bought a Ryobi 524gx brand new for $280,000 fully loaded you cant add anything else to this press. Right now we have a Hamada A252 14X20 we run all of our 4 color on and it runs great if you can find a used get it.

BTW

The Hamada A252 is a Hashimoto with Hamada covers on it Hamada did not make this press.

Last edited:
Years ago we bought a new Hamada to replace the aging GTO. The Hamada was nothing but trouble, so we got rid of it and got two Ryobi's. The Ryobi was a good choice, but we wanted something that would run envelopes better. We ended up with a Heidi QuickMaster.

-Sev

In my humble opinion after owning both brands of presses, there is no comparison on quality and service. Buy RYOBI. As stated earlier, they are still in business and make a quality press.

I went through this same exact decision about 2 years ago, I have researched both machines thoroughly. The Hamada was engineered after the Ryobi. Hamada has fixed all the flaws of Ryobi and thereby built a far superior press. The Ryobi has stuck with the same frame and all the crap they have been doing since day 1, and it is only because of being the first 2 color portrait on the market are they able to keep up the market share. If you are able to get a Hamada at the same price, go with the Hamada IMHO. The features on the Hamada work, such as blanket cleaners, etc., whereas the features on the Ryobi are a complete waste of money. Study the roller train of both machines and ask why they are different, compare the ink train to 40'' presses, I'd rather have a ink train that machines a 40'' than an AB dick 98. Also, research who is available to service the Hamada, because there aren’t a lot of them on the market you will want to know hourly rates and how far away the tech is coming from. Anyone can fix a Ryobi… everyone who has owned one needs to know.

I’ve worked on both machines, as an operator and owner I’d choose the Hamada any day of the week.

Well you cant get a new Hamada or a GTO so if your buying new and looking for 14x20 press Kamori, Shinahoria, Man Roland, all make good presses,

C248 is junk. That is the Hamada that was on the opening post to this thread. Maybe they fixed the many problems it had but who is to say if the machine for sale is one of these fixed and awesome machines. The feeder was so bad the set up technicians had to use Big Feet suckers or they could not keep single sheets feeding. No matter how hard the technicians tried they could not get up curl paper to feed and the stock that did feed did not register. Roller recovery banding was the worst I have ever seen on a press. A ryobi ghosts but no where near as bad as the C248. And why design a press that requires packing the plates. Try running poly plates and pack them on this machine and because of the plate clamping system it is practically impossible to hang poly plates without stretching them. Granted the Ryobi has issues as well as Quick master but the Hamada is junk. Quick Master Ryobi SM 52 and GTO hell even an AB Dick does not require the operator to pack the plate. Maybe that is a selling point for the Hamada. I had a pretty nice gig at a print shop for 9 years. I was the main guy. After getting that Hamada and seeing that was my future I moved on and never looked back.

Last edited:
If you can get an Hamada A252 it is a great press we have had ours for 7 years and have over 40 million Imps. and still runs great. And remember this is a hoshamoto with Hamada covers on it and it's a 14x20 press can get in stright or perfection config.

A252s_low.jpg

Last edited:
i tried Quick master, not good for 4 colors printing
GTO is more common, more guaranteed to work, spareparts available worldwide and so is maintenance, and if u decide to sell, you won't lose as much as you do for other machines
i admit Fuji got better solid colours coverings, roland is better in handling duplex paper and heavy grams, but GTO is the money maker of its size

The Ryobi 522 hx 14 x 20 is a great small format press. Fast make readies...great feeder....pull guide....easy to run and keep clean. I ran 4c process on it for 2 years with great results.

Thanks

Thanks

It was really great to read all helpful hints from very experienced print professionals. I have made up my mind now. Thank you all.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back