Scitex Dolev 800v - Bootable Floppy ???

Nitesh

Hi All,
The buyer of our old Scitex Dolev 800v is asking for a bootable floopy to boot the machine, because his service engineer is asking for it, and he further insists that floppy should always be inserted in the floppy drive of the machine for booting.

This is absolutely ridiculous because since we brought this machine refurbished from a reseller 4-5 years ago, and from the time of installation there was never a word about booting from floppy drive neither was any floppy inserted in the drive all these years.

My question is, does this machine always require a floppy disk to boot ?
Then how come we were not known about this?
Also, how can the bootable floppy be bypassed and boot by itself from its any internal disk or so?

Any help in this regard is most welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Nitesh

Hi All,
The buyer of our old Scitex Dolev 800v is asking for a bootable floopy to boot the machine, because his service engineer is asking for it, and he further insists that floppy should always be inserted in the floppy drive of the machine for booting.

This is absolutely ridiculous because since we brought this machine refurbished from a reseller 4-5 years ago, and from the time of installation there was never a word about booting from floppy drive neither was any floppy inserted in the drive all these years.

My question is, does this machine always require a floppy disk to boot ?
Then how come we were not known about this?
Also, how can the bootable floppy be bypassed and boot by itself from its any internal disk or so?

Any help in this regard is most welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Nitesh

Nitesh,

For many years the Dolevs came out from manufacturing only with floppy drives, so they needed to be booted up from a diskette, that initialized the boards and loaded some tables.
Later on some reselers or if the customer wanted there was an option to add a hard drive , monitor , keyboard and mouse, so you could operate the Dolev from the CRT.
In your case you must have a hard drive installed.
The very last models were manufactured with flash disks.( fast Dolevs)
You have to get into the BIOS of the CPU to change from booting options.
Did you have a CRT with the Dolev before you sold it as you will need one to do the above.

Hi Pach,
yes indeed it had a b/w CRT and a keyboard.
can u help me further

Thanks In advance

Nitesh

Nitesh,

Connect the B/W monitor and keyboard to the CPU inside the Electronics crate
To do this open the RHSide door of the Dolev, connect the cables and bring the cables out in a way that you will be able to close the door so the interlock is made
Switch the monitor on
Turn the Dolev on and keep pressing F2 ( or DEL I am not 100% sure) on the keyboard to get into the BIOS
In the Standard Coms Setup you will see Date/ Time /ETc
Next select BIOS Features Setup where The Boot Sequence should be SCSI and further down Boot Floppy should be disabled
Exit and Save
If the software is not corupted on the hard drive then the Dolev should boot up.
I hope that this will help.
Good luck

dolev firmware

dolev firmware

your machine was running on optional harddrive but now its crashed. thats why the engineer is asking for boot floppy disk. in fact he should have it. if you need i can send you the installer file for dolev firmware. with this disket you can either run your machine or you can install a new clean harddisk. the advantage of harddisk is that it is faster during startup and when navigate through the menus. another issue, floppy diskets are not long term durable. harddisk is better. but you need to know how to install it. just send me an e-mail i send you the installer file.

Ece Teknik,
Pls post it on this forum, so that anybody else who is in need might be benefitted as well.

Nitesh

i am asking with the technician that u must use harddisk free from badsector...is that right?
i have same problem with you...

why the film is always stuck if the first time switch on...and in the message :monitor stuck in conveyor

Do you mean the first film that you exposed? How far does it go into the conveyor? Is it in the morning? Maybe your humidity is not correct. It should be 55 +/- 5%.

insert a blank high density diskette into your pc diskette drive.
format it.
extract the zipped file and see the exe file.
double click it. it will ask for diskette. press enter. and wait for installation finished.

in case you want to use harddisk.
it must be less than 1GB clean IDE harddisk (difficult to find). verify it is working on any PC.
connect it via IDE cable to the corresponding slot on your dolev's Cpu board. turn on dolev.
go to BIOS at startup and check that it is configured. if not, configure it as user disk, entering parameters manually.
after it is configured, go to DOS prompt A:/ (during startup press ctrl + E together.)
enter first DOS 6.22 setup disket.
do fdisk and make a standalone primary disk partition, no secondary. then format it.
run setup.
change to second dos 6.22 disket when asked.
change to third dos 6.22 disket when asked.
insert the firmware disket, which you prepared on pc and type install c:
it will install the dolev firmware onto your harddisk. after installation finished, take out the diskette and reboot dolev. now it must boot from harddisk.
you can also install the diagnostics onto the same harddisk. if needed please ask.

your film stuck in conveyor problem may have several causes. can be incorrect leveling between Dolev and online processor. may be humidity problem together with incorrect leveling. because the first film stuck and the others pass.

ok i'll try on sunday....yes,in the morning first time i turn on its stuck and the message no film in but the film enter already...sorry my english not very good :D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back